They followed the dirt path up to the house and parked right in front. When Ashton opened the side door and stepped out, he took one look at the large house and commented at the lonely building before him, "This looks like a death house." 

"Mommy?" His younger brother Harry said in fear.

"Ashton!" His mum yelled at him in a scolding tone, swatting him on the shoulder. "Stop saying those types of horrible things. You're scaring your little brother." Sqatting down so that she was at eyelevel with her youngest son, she said soothingly, "Don't worry sweetie. Your brother is only joking. Aren't you, Ashton?"

But Ashton shrugged his shoulders, "I'm sorry. But you purchased an isolated house that no one has even lived in yet. I'm just saying its an eerie place. The perfect murder setting."

"Oh, my son." Mr. Irwin set a hand on his eldest son's shoulder with a proud smile that reflected over fifteen years of hard work, "You'll love the house once you get settled in your new room. You won't have to share with Lauren and Harry anymore. Our life will be much better from now on."

Ashton sighed, muttering under his breath, "Why am I not feeling the excitement?"

"How about..." The older man began, "I take you to a car dealer this weekend so you can get your first car?" He grinned at his son. When he left his house in Brisbane, he left his car and all his belongings behind. And he wanted to give his children all the things he once had when he was growing up.

At that, Ashton smiled. "You mean it, dad?"

"I mean it." Mr. Irwin nodded.

"I'd much rather like a motorcycle though..." Ashton began.

"Not those rebel death traps." His father shook his head. "You're getting one of those brand new American Camaro cars, cherry red, imported."

"Gee dad," Ashton breathed. He had always had a liking for red sports cars, but he never thought he would ever own one when he was younger. It was always something he could look at, but never touch. "I think that's swell. Thank you."

.

He pushed the door to his room open and wasn't impressed by what he saw. The room was big, but was a standard square shape with wooden floors and white walls. The closet had sliding doors and big enough for him to have all his clothes in, which were mostly leather jackets, jeans, and t-shirts. Across from the door on the far end were glass sliding doors that opened up to the balcony which faced the front of the house, out onto the dirt trail that led towards the front gate. 

The wall on the right was bare, and on the other side was a golden, full length mirror leaning against the wall. Sliding his bag of clothes off his shoulder and setting it next to the doorway, he walked toward the left behind antique. 

A large hand stuck out to feel the cool metal of the mirror, as if to check that it was real.

"What is this?" He wondered out loud to no one in particular, as he was the only one in the room. "Who could have left it here?"

Out of curiosity, his hands gripped the heavy mirror, pulling it towards him and exposing the bare wall behind it. It was contrasted in color with the rest of the wall, making it clear that the mirror had been there for a long time. He thought maybe a family had lived there very briefly and when they left, they forgot their mirror. Or maybe they purposefully left it because it was so heavy to more and it was more trouble than it was worth.

Behind the mirror, on the back side of it, he was able to make out some letters and a few numbers carved into it.

H. Q. - 2 0 1 3

"H, Q, two, zero, one, three. What does that even mean?" He examined the strange markings.

He was startled by a knock on his open door and released the mirror, making it crash against the wall with a loud bang. "Ashton?" His mum asked, eyeing her first son suspiciously.

"Mum, you scared me." He told her with a slight laugh.

"What were you doing with that mirror?" She looked from him to the golden colored mirror.

He shook his head, replying casually, "I was just looking at this mirror someone left behind."

Her face contorted into something that looked like confusion. "That's curious. There was no mirror in this room when we came to see the house last week. I'm sure your father and I would remember an antique like that."

Ashton shrugged, "It doesn't matter to me. I just thought it was curious."

.

That night, the Irwin family all slept in the same bedroom, the master bedroom, which already had a king sized bed set up for them to sleep in, as it was the only bed they could carry on the roof of their family car.

Despite Ashton's comments about their new home looking like a death house, the two youngest children slept soundly.

The only one who could not seem to close his eyes long enough to drift off to sleep was the family's eldest son. His eyes were trained on the ceiling above him, but his mind had other thoughts. 

No matter how hard he tried, he could not seem to forget about the mirror.

But he especially couldn't forget about the strange combination of letters and numbers engraved behind it.

H. Q. - 2 0 1 3

What did that mean?

-

ANOTHER CHAPTER FOR YOU GUYS. THIS ONE IS DEDICATED TO ONE OF MY VERY FIRST FRIENDS ON HERE. LESLIE! @ARIANAGRANDETHEQUEEN SHE HAS ALWAYS SUPPORTED ME AND I ABSOLUTELY ADORE HER FOR THAT. THANK YOU, LESLIE.

& LET ME JUST TELL YOU ALL THAT I AM SO AMAZED AT THE WAY THIS STORY HAS ALMOST 1.3K READS. IT MEANS A LOT EVERY TIME SOMEONE VOTES OR COMMENTS.

ANYWAY, HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS CHAPTER? DO YOU THINK IT WAS GOOD? I JUST WANTED TO INTRODUCE ASHTON AND THE MIRROR AND HIS FAMBAM. HOW DO YOU LIKE THE IRWIN FAMILY? PS, I'M SAVING THE PART OF THE FAMILY BEING MURDERED FOR LATER, SO DON'T TRIP, TATER TOTTS, IT'LL COME SOON ENOUGH.

OH, THE YEAR IS 1960 BTW AND ASHTON IS SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD. JUST FYI.

QUESTION OF THE DAY: WHAT IS YOUR NAME? COMMENT BELOW! MY NAME IS CLARYVETTE (PRONOUNCED LIKE CLAIRE YVETTE, BUT I GO BY CLARY).

THANK YOU FOR READING. STAY LOVELY.

-PORNOSKIANS.