In Love With My Car

Start from the beginning

 Mary’s eyes were twinkling as she listened to me. “Oh! Please…tell me…so you do the cheesecake thing…what does Roger do?” She couldn’t hide her big grin. I shook my head.

 “At least twice a week, Roger stands in the kitchen with a music magazine and a cigarette. He takes exactly fifteen soda crackers and spreads strawberry jam on them. He licks the jam off and then eats the cracker all the while he reads whatever magazine it is. He sings the whole time he’s in there…as loud as he can.” I smiled at Mary.

 “Oh…you love him so.” She said dreamily. I slammed the hood of the Ferrari down, ensuring it latched.

 “Who the hell ever said anythin’ about love? You asked me what it was like with Roger and I told you.” I wiped my hands as the sun sunk lower on the horizon.  Mary smiled.

 “You didn’t have to say it.” Mary said. “It’s okay. I know that you love him.” I narrowed my eyes and glared at Mary. She laughed. I never said anythin’ else.

 “Come on. I bet dinner’s close to being ready. You know they finished recording side A today?” Mary asked me as I rolled the top of the Ferrari back.

 “Yeah, that’s what Roger said. That’s really fantastic.” I said as we walked back to the house. We headed inside and sure enough, dinner was being set on the table. I glanced over at the clock: 7:10. Greg, Vivienne, the newly engaged, Brian, and Chrissie were already seated at the table.

 “Roger can you come upstairs with me for a moment?” I asked of him as I headed toward the stairs.

 “Yeah, yeah…I’ll be right there.” Roger sat a bowl down to the table.

 I made my way up the stairs and into our room. I walked over to the closet, pulling something out and sitting down on the edge of the bed. I could hear Roger’s footsteps coming up the stairs.

 “What’s up, babe?” he asked me hanging on to the doorframe and leaning forward. I could hear him tapping his fingers on the frame. I smiled and patted the spot on the bed beside me. He looked at me and came over to sit beside me, plopping down on the bed in a heavy thump. “What’s ‘at there?” he pointed to the box I had on my lap.

 “Here.” I handed it over, not offering any information. “Open it.” I encouraged him. Roger looked at me with that stupid look he got on his face sometimes when he didn’t know what was going on. I watched carefully as he pulled the lid off the box. He handed it to me and I placed it on the bed behind me. He pushed open the layers of tissue paper until he came to the layer sealed with round foil sticker. He stopped here and looked at me.

 “Go on!” I encouraged him. Roger smiled at me and tore open the white tissue paper with the seal. I head him gasp and he covered his eyes with his hand, leaning over against my shoulder.

 “Oh my god, Lyd! Ooooh my god!” He laughed as he leaned on me. I couldn’t help but laugh with him as I put an arm around him. “Shit…god, it’s beautiful, Lyd. It’s beautiful.” Roger leaned back up from my shoulder and reached his hands into the box.