The Birthday Wish

[Genre: Fantasy
Celebrity: Sebastian Stan/Winter Soldier]

"Happy Birthdayyy tooo youuu!" The chorus of her best friends serenaded her as Gina laughed at their awful harmonizing.

She sat at the table, surrounded by her closest girlfriends, her eyes watering with laughter and just plain happiness. They'd thrown her a surprise party at her own apartment and she still couldn't wrap her mind around how they were able to pull it off without her knowing.

Gabby, perfectly named, had a big mouth. But she never gave it away, not even a little bit. She'd been the one to keep Gina out all day, before bringing her back home for the surprise.

They showered her with gifts, but her favorite was the one that made her laugh out loud, her cheeks pinking with embarrassment. Rebecca had gone into the guest bedroom and brought out a life-size cardboard cut out of Sebastian Stan as the Winter Soldier. He had a big red bow tied around his head.

While it was meant to be a silly gift, she absolutely loved it and couldn't wait to put it in her bedroom. Maybe even tuck it into bed with her...

"Make a wish!" Gabby exclaimed, taking a photo of Gina as she stared at the single candle flame.

It swayed gently, waiting to be blown out; to grant a wish. But Gina had everything she'd ever wanted. A perfect job, incredible parents, a great apartment, and the best of friends. The only thing she lacked was a love-life. Not that she needed one to feel whole, but a little fun now and then was what she craved. She'd tried the whole relationship thing before, several times, in fact. It just wasn't for her. Or maybe she just hadn't found 'the one', if there were such a thing.

Her friends were waiting. The wax of the candle was dripping onto the cake, a puddle of pink hardening on top of the white icing. Eyeing the cardboard cut out, she decided on her wish.

I wish Bucky would come to life, just for tonight.

She snickered at her wish, childish as it was, and blew out her candle. Her friends cheered, Rebecca hugging her shoulders from behind.

After cleaning up with Gabby and Rebecca, Gina waved goodbye, stifling a yawn. Grabbing a piece of cake and a bottle of wine, she trudged to her bedroom to snuggle in and watch Netflix until she fell asleep.

Someone had already placed the cardboard cutout of the Winter Soldier, also known as Bucky Barnes, in her room and the figure startled her. She moved him to the side of the room, out of the way.

Gina could feel his eyes on her, even if they were made of cardboard. She undressed, keeping her eyes on him. She moved left, his eyes followed. She moved right, his eyes followed. She shook her head at her childish game and proceeded to put her pajamas on.

Snuggling into her plush bed, she turned Netflix on and browsed her list, not quite sure what she felt like watching. She screwed the cap off the cheap bottle of wine and took a swig, her eyes slowly landing on Bucky again. His figure was large and almost imposing. It'd be hard to fall asleep with him in there, as much as she loved him.

Placing the wine and cake down on the bedside table, she slipped out of bed and opened the closet door behind Bucky. She found what she was looking for, pulling out a set of white cotton bedsheets. She whipped one out, flapping it hard like a flag in high wind, then draped it over the top of Bucky.

Stepping back to admire her work, she wasn't sure if she made it better or worse. Now he looked like a ghost. But at least his eyes weren't watching her every move anymore.

He'd definitely take some getting used to.

Gina watched a few episodes of New Girl before her yawns began to make her eyes water. She switched the TV off and pulled the comforter up to her chin, turning to her side. In the darkness, she could still see his shape. It made her uneasy.