I laugh, and Max opens the medical room door. Nurse Jean puts her hands on her hips and looks affronted at Max and me, "What do you think you're doing?"

"Jade fainted so we thought we better bring her to you."

Jade makes some unintelligible noise and frowns.

"Well that is very kind of you, but Jade seems to be conscious now."

Max steps forward, "Yeah but she hit her head on the ground and she's slurring her words and stuff so..."

Nurse Jean looks at Jade kindly, "Jade, can you walk?"

Her chin jerks savagely, "Yes!"

I sigh and roll my eyes.

"Oh!" Nurse Jean reaches out to help Jade off the floor but she ignores this. Instead she drags her self along the ground and pulls herself up (shaking like a leaf) by the sick bed.

"Perhaps it's best if you lie down for a little while sweetheart, you'll feel much better if you have a rest."

I smile, because Jade looks so confused and helpless. She looks at us like she doesn't recognise any of us. But she can't argue with what the nurse says and lets her help her onto the bed.

The nurse bustles into the adjoining room and I turn to Max, "You know, Raul will want to hear about this."

He nods solemnly but then perks up. "Hey. I have Art first, doss lesson! See you later!"

But I don't have Art. I have stinking English. So I hang around. Jade's eyes can't seem to focus and her face is dizzy, like she's fighting sleep. But she gestures me to her and I inch forwards.

"Thor," she slurs.

"Jade."

"Promise, promise.." I start feeling bad about her fainting and all, but it's not my fault if she's so gullible and sensitive or whatever. Not my fault if Max says the first thing that comes into his head.

"Promise what?"

She blinks like she forgot she was talking. "Promise to change me."

"Sure, I promise."

The nurse comes in again and hands her a tablet, helping her sit up and easing water into her mouth. Before Jade falls lies back and looses the ability of speech, she mutters, "But I don't have any money.. and your toothbrush..."

Nurse Jean turns to me and raises an eyebrow, like, you're still here? I shuffle my feet and build up a really good smile. Sometimes if you really smile at people.. "Maybe I should stay and wait till she's better."

"Mm hmm." Not convinced, damn.

"I mean, because she's new. She won't know where to go for lessons or anything."

Nurse Jean smiles at me, "You always were very thoughtful Thor."

Phew, in the clear.

"But I'm sure Jade will understand that you wouldn't want to miss your own lessons."

I sigh. Dratt, stupid dull English after all. But if I die of bordem I am holding this girl responsible.

"Thor, one second."

I turn around; they say there's no point in delaying the inevitable but I disagree. English can seriously wait.

"If I'm wrong, and Jade is suffering from more than just a minor concussion, I'll have to get in touch with her parents. Do you know her last name?"

"I thinks it's Swallow - no wait. It's Sallow. Definately."

"Thank you Thor, off to class. When she's feeling better she'll have to have a little nap so I don't think you can help here."