Ch. 2

Casey's cheeks were burning due to the fact that he hadn't stopped smiling since he'd woken up. His father had taken the day off just to spend time with him and Casey couldn't have been happier. Daniel was usually always working or asleep because after working at the dry cleaners all hours of the day he was beat. But not that day. That day, Daniel was full of life, rapping and dancing around the kitchen to Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls.

Casey was in awe as he watched his father chef up a hot meal of fried pork chops, string beans, and yellow rice. Casey's high pitched ten year old laughter filled the kitchen as Daniel hopped up on the kitchen chair and started shouting out the lyrics from the topic of his lungs.

Daniel's animated performance came to a halt when the stereo was turned off. In walked a very displeased looking Cassandra. Daniel hopped down from the chair and made his way over to his very tired and very pregnant wife. He pulled Cassandra in his arms and tried to kiss her lips. Only for Cassandra to turn her head resulting in his kiss landing on her cheek.

Daniel's eyebrows pulled together. "What's up with that attitude baby?" Daniel questioned, his arm still draped around her waist.

Cassandra sighed, pulling off her apron. "Daniel why aren't you at work?" Cassandra asked.

"I took the day off," Daniel laughed it off, letting her go and walking back over to the stove.

Cassandra crossed her arms. "Baby why? You know we can't afford-" Cassandra tried to remind.

Daniel's face grew straight. "Cass come on. It's one day," he said with a sigh.

"Hi mommy," Casey mumbled.

Cassandra walked over to Casey and kissed the top of his head. "Hey sweetie." She pulled up a chair and took a seat, turning her attention back to Daniel. "Daniel we're four hundred dollars short of rent this month. We're running out of food. Then our light bill is through the damn roof."

"I'll handle it," Daniel spoke dismissively.

"I can't keep picking up double shifts at IHOP Daniel," Cassandra gritted. "My feet are killing me and I'm damn near eight months pregnant. I shouldn't be working so much freaking overtime."

Daniel turned off the stove. "I hear you baby. I'm gonna handle it." He repeated nonchalantly.

Cassandra's face held a slight pout. "You said that last month... you're working all these hours but your check isn't showing it. Unless you're spending your money elsewhere..." Cassandra trailed off.

"How many times do I have to repeat myself Cassandra?" Daniel hissed, turning to face her. "Did I not say I'm gonna fucking handle it?"

"You say one thing but you do another! Just like putting rims on your car. That shit could've waited! We have bills Daniel and another child on the way!" Cassandra barked.

Daniel swiped his nose. "I work my ass off, if I want to treat myself-"

"Treat yourself when we can afford it! We can't afford it right now!" Cassandra yelled. "And all of your check isn't just going towards that damn car either. Where else is your money going Daniel?"

"Every penny I spend is an investment towards our family! That's all you need to know!" Daniel snarled.

Cassandra scoffed, shaking her head. "I can't keep borrowing money from my sister because you keep spending it on bullshit!" Cassandra screamed.