thirteen

"DO YOU like The Notebook?"

Kara blinked at the sudden question and at Archie, who had abruptly appeared behind her locker door.  "What?" she asked, frowning slightly. Archie shrugged nonchalantly. "I thought we'd have a movie night at yours," he replied easily, "And Betty gave me a copy of The Notebook for my birthday- long story- so, I figured why not."

Kara raised a teasing eyebrow. "Are you being sexist and assuming all girls like The Notebook and Ryan Gosling?" Archie went red. "N-no, I just thought-"

Kara cut him off with a small laugh, mixed with a few snorts. "That sounds great, Arch," she chirped, threading her fingers through his own.

Archie stared at her affectionately, like those gross couples do, but she wasn't watching him. Kara had her eyes locked on Sheriff Keller and one of his deputies escorting a student down the hall- Jughead.

"Juggy, what's-" Kara started, but Jughead cut her off, saying decidedly, "Call my dad." Archie nodded as every head in the hallway turned to watch him go. "Yeah, sure, of course."

Kara watched Jughead retreat down the hall as Archie pulled out his phone, grabbing her hand. "Come on," he said. Kara couldn't help but wonder-

What had Jughead done now?

-/-

"Jughead's not helping himself in there," Sheriff Keller told Archie, Kara, and Mr. Andrews while Betty was inside talking to Jughead, "I asked him for an alibi and he just gave me lip." There was still no sign of FP.

"He was working for me," Mr. Andrews blurted, "Y-yeah, the week of July 11th, was it? He was helping me tear down some drywall." Archie glanced at his dad, aware that Jughead was definitely not working for him at all this summer, but Sheriff Keller accepted it. "You can provide documentation to support that?" he asked. Fred thought for a moment before nodding. "I'll check my time cards."

A few minutes later, they released a disgruntled Jughead. It was silent as they left to police station, until FP showed up in the parking lot.

"Jughead!" he hollered, staggering through the parking lot, "I'm sorry. I-I came as soon as I got your messages." He laughed a little, but no one smiled in response. "My phone, the friggin' battery- forgot to plug it in last night."

"What happened?" FP asked when no one said anything. Jughead quickly dismissed him. "Nothing..."

"What jacked up crap did they try to accuse you of in there? They trying to throw you in jail like they did your old man?" he asked, furious. A growl escaped through his clamped teeth and he surged forward. "I will rip Keller in two for trying to pull that-"