Crystal Lake~Prologue

Start from the beginning

She ran until she found the highest spot on the river bluff, where she could practically see the whole forest, the river running fiercely through it. There, she sighed and sat down, catching her breath and trying to collect her thoughts.

"What the fuck Archie?" She groaned as she quickly took out her phone.

To: Archie 💓 Andrews

What the hell is going on Archie????

She shoved her phone into her pocket and laid on her back, feet dangling off the edge of the rocky cliff, trying to listen to the sounds of the forest to calm her.

The sound of rushing water engulfed her, tree branches swaying in the misty breeze. The forest was her favorite place to come, it always seemed so calming. For the first time in awhile, Elodie closed her eyes and dreamt.

Elodie was sleeping on the rocky cliff above the river, when the noise of a car engine woke her. She stood up and rubbed her eyes, looking around for the source of the noise. And lo and behold, the bright red paint was enough for anyone to recognize the car as the Blossom twins'. She smiled slightly at the sight of one of her best friends. The two were wearing matching white outfits and held hands as they walked down to a small boat. Elodie frowned.

'Hey, that's the boat we were in yesterday' Elodie remembered.

The twins entered it and started rowing towards her side of the river, the cliff she resided upon soon obstructing her view of the two. She tried to lean over to see them but couldn't without fear of plummeting down.

Then suddenly, the sound of a gun shot rang out.

Elodie jumped and looked around, one hand clutching her chest, only to spot the Riverdale Cub Scouts, and their leader, Dilton, showing them how to fire a gun. She sighed and relaxed, running a hand through her hair.

She startled again when her phone rang. She grumbled and picked it up without checking who it was.

"Hello?"

"Elle, it's Archie. Can we please talk?" His voice was as sweet as ever, but it was laced with a tinge of desperation.

The anger and surprise she felt for one of her best friends suddenly came crashing back with the memories of him in Grundy in the woods and she snapped at him.

"About what? Your affair with the music teacher?! Come on Archie! You aren't really that stupid, are you?" Elodie huffed.

She found herself getting upset more easily than normal and took a deep breath in attempt to calm down.

"Please Elodie, can't we just-"

"Save it Arch. I'm not in the mood right now" Elodie cut him off and ended the call.

Her head felt foggy and she only seemed half awake. She decided to go home and set off down the cliff.

As she walked down, she ran into a sobbing and soaking wet Cheryl, surrounded by a few boy scouts and a million police.

"Cheryl?? Elodie froze and stared in confusion at the girl.

"Elle!" Her voice strained. She looked distraught and desperate in a way that scared Elodie.

"Cheryl! Jesus!" She cried out before running to the redhead. Cheryl's eyes welled with tears and she began sobbing and choking all over again once she was safe in Elodie's arms.

"What is it Cheryl? What's wrong?" Elodie asked her.

"It's Jason" The redhead cried.

"What about him?" Elodie's heart rate quickened.

She always thought in worst-case scenarios. He was probably fine. Cheryl was always being dramatic anyways, she'd been that way since they were kids.

Cheryl cried and shook her head, unable to speak.

"Wait a minute... Cher... No..." The lump in her stomach rose and wedged itself in her throat.

"He's... He's dead Elle. He's dead" She whispered, before breaking down once more. 

Elodie startled and woke from her dream in a cold sweat. She was breathing heavily, her head swimming, feeling like she was gonna cry. Once she had reoriented herself and calmed down a little, she reached for her phone. No response.

"It was just a dream. Everything is okay" She told herself as she composed herself and stood up.

As she descended the cliff, home-bound, Elodie sighed heavily at the thought of having to return to her home. To her parents. To Riverdale. To a dying town. But nevertheless, her feet carried her ever further.

She got in without her parents noticing, and just as she closed her bedroom door behind her, her phone began to ring. She snatched it up and quickly answered it.

"Hello?" She answered

"Elle, it's Archie. Can we please talk?"