Love, Revolution Style

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, sir. My husband and son have gone off to fight, and I have had heard no word in months. I have two young children here, and do not want any trouble". He wondered about her age, as she looked very much like a child herself.

They continued to sip the lemonade when he asked for her permission to speak to his men, "Do you mind ma'am if I inform the men that it is permissible to make camp? We will remain in the barn and by the water as you requested. My men are young and weary. They are famished and need to bathe in the cool water for a bit. But as I said, I promise you that we will remain away from the house. With your permission, I would like to speak with them, and then return to you. Is that agreeable?" He spoke in a low, and calming tone that put her more at ease with every word he spoke.

"Yes, sir, Thank You."

He headed down the hill to the shoreline where most of the men had assembled, laying about on the ground out of exhaustion from both the heat and battle. He informed the Colonel of his conversation with the woman, then the Colonel began barking orders to make camp. Once the men knew they were out of danger, it seemed as though a dark cloud was lifted, and some of the men began undressing to jump in the cool water. Others pulled the boats onto shore, while yet others tried to rest, sprawled out under the shades of trees. Even the shade could not shield them from the extreme humidity, so the healthy began sponging down the weak.

The Lieutenant then went back to the woman as promised. He wanted her to know that he was there to protect her from what seemed like a bunch of scary men. He found her door closed when he reached the house, so he sat on the porch step to wait. He would sit there all day and night if he had to. He wanted her to feel guarded. He could hear the mischievous laughter of his men, finally getting a break from fighting. He could hear the splashing of the water as men jumped in the creek and wrestled like alligators in the water, and he laughed that they were getting a chance to relax. Hopefully, this mental break from the war would last a bit.

The woman came to the door with cheese and bread. She informed the Lieutenant that his men could slaughter and roast one of her pigs. He was taken back by the generosity, and very grateful. As the men built the fire to roast the pig, the woman and the Lieutenant spoke for most of the night.

"Where are the children you spoke of? I have not seen nor heard from them."

She explained, "I fear that I have misled you, sir. My father owns this land. He went off to fight, leaving me behind. I do not know if he is dead or alive, and legally I cannot inherit land. Therefore I told you that it was my husband's. I cannot be removed from my childhood home, I would be devastated. Also, I thought that even a strange man would be less likely to harm a woman with children."

"Understood. Does that mean that you are not married?" He asked with a smirk on his face, as he had not seen a woman in almost a year. She shrugged a negative, nervously. His own wife and infant had died in childbirth, and since then he had shown no interest. This woman was capturing his attention though. She was about 22 years old, with a sweet voice, and spoke well. Over the course of the night, they discussed both of their families, the war, and animals. He told her stories of how he had grown up on a farm, and offered to help her milk the cows in the morning.

As the day turned to dusk, the soldiers sang over the campfire and filled their bellies. The Lieutenant and woman walked the acres of her land, pointing at the stars, and listening to the sounds of the night. The Lieutenant then looked at the woman in the eyes and said, "For hours we have talked about everything from stars to horses, and yet, I do not know your name. Please do not leave me in suspense, give me the gift of your name."

She smiled and seemed pleased, with an innocent smile and cast down eyes, she said, "Miss Sarah Collins." She was hoping that he would call her Sarah, but she knew that was too presumptuous. They did not know each other, and the proper thing would be to call her Miss Collins. Most of the men her age had been off to fight for over a year already, so she had no prospects, no gentleman callers. The only men who remained in her town were the elderly, lame, and the priests. This was the first real attention she received from a man, and yet she knew it was improper since she was all alone, without a chaperone.