Chapter 34 - Kill or Be Killed

Start from the beginning

Jones will pay for what he's done to her.

I hear the change in her breath; her eyes flutter open for a second and I know she's caught sight of what's in front of her.

She frowns slightly, swallowing dryly, "P...Peter?"

I'm mildly shocked by her change of address, but it passes. I push her hair back to reveal her hollow cheek and sunken eyes, "Yes, it's me."

"You...you found me..." She says hoarsely.

"Of course I did. I never leave a lost one behind," I answer, "and I had to keep my promise, didn't I?"

"That...was then..."

"I don't care," I say, "Here, drink this. It'll help you heal," and I tip the canteen of Neverland's water mixed with a potion I made with the Queen to her lips.

She drinks hesitantly at first, but then grips the canteen and empties it in a few gulps. I watch the skin on her wrists and ankles vanish, the bruises fade, the cut on her cheek seal and the gashes on her thighs knit themselves closed. Her skin regains its colour, and her cheeks return to their previous fullness. She blinks a few times before opening them fully and she sits up abruptly. I let her have a moment, letting her feel her strength come back. She suddenly looks at me, her sapphire blue eyes brighter than ever as they connect with my green ones. And then I'm taken aback by her throwing her arms around my neck and hugging me to her; I freeze, but find my arms slowly encircling her in return.

"Thank you," she says, sniffing as she begins to cry.

"You're welcome," I reply, confused at an unfamiliar feeling in my stomach.

She pulls away, "What are you doing here? How did you—?"

"It's a long story, but that's not important at this moment in time. You need to get up, and we need to go," I say urgently.

"Right," she replies with a nod and we stand.

She looks down at her clothes, "I need to fix this before we fight."

"That's why I brought these," I say and hold out the exact copy of the clothes she's always worn.

"I won't need those just yet. I'm going to put on a show first," and she grins and waves her hand to pull her hair away from her face and to repair the dress, instantly looking like her old self. She winces, and touches her back, "Ow."

"Turn around," I order and she does so, pulling her hair back.

It's scattered with violent gashes, each one deeper than previous. Some overlap, others have only begin to scab while the others bleed at the slight pull of the skin. But the mark down her spine is almost gone.

"They'll heal, but slowly. You're going to need magic, and a lot of it," and she turns, smiling slightly.

"Good thing Neverland has plenty," she says.

I nod and smirk. Then I remember, "I brought this too," and I hold out her sword.

Her eyes light up, and she grins as she takes it from me, giving it a few swings, "Thank you, for all of this. But more importantly, did you get them?"

"Yes. Both of them," I confirm.

"Good. Now, are you ready for a fight?" She asks, and there's a ferocious twinkle in her eyes.

"Always," I reply.

I watch her; she slowly walks up the steps, places her sword by the door, and then she turns and sends a wink my way. She sits on the steps, and reaches up for the handle, pretending she can't reach it and she's struggling. Finally, she pulls the handle, and the door creaks open. She pulls herself up and reaches out. I take this as my cue to relocate.