Her Demon Prince Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

“Princess, do you desire to become Galaden’s concubine?” the demon asked.

“What do you mean?” Phoebe asked.

“The angel, Galaden, means to rape you before he kills you. We have but moments before he comes to life.”

Absurdity flooded her mind as she glanced over at the statue of the angel she’d carved. She blinked. The marble seemed to be changing color just like the demon had done, the stone becoming translucent. Oh good God, what was happening? Too many years of Baptist bible study permeated her senses. “I don’t believe you. Angels don’t kill.”

Two rocks flared and died.

“Believe me, they make the most deadly of enemies,” the demon said.

“Liar!” Rachael said.

A deep frown creased his brow as he stared down at Rachael. “Do you dream of your past life with Galaden? Do you remember the fate he delivered to your door? Even you were fooled by his evil. You loved him once.”

Rachael’s hand went to her throat and her back pressed hard against the studio wall. “I don’t know what you mean.”

“I think you do.”

His words chilled Phoebe’s soul. She saw Rachael’s eyes fill with tears and she began to tremble. From their childhood together, she knew that straight-shooting Rachael was a terrible liar.

Several more rocks flared and stuttered before turning to small piles of soot, leaving only two burning. The demon kicked at the pile of ash so that it scattered toward her.

Rachael moved forward and grabbed Phoebe by the arm. “The barrier is growing weaker. Get out of here.”

“Release me, Princess,” the demon urged her.

Rachael shoved Phoebe, pushing her toward the door, just as the statue of the angel shuddered. White and silver dust sprinkled the ground as Galaden sucked in a deep breath.

Her eyes shining with wonder, Rachael released Phoebe’s shoulder. “It can’t be. He is coming to life, too. He’ll save us.”

Phoebe felt her jaw drop as the angel spread his wings so that they spanned the room, the feathers turning from an alabaster color to glistening cream with silver tips. He moved slowly, his joints appearing stiff; he turned to look at the women and the crystal blue of his irises shone when his gaze settled on Rachael. His whole body began to pulse and glow. How could this be real?

“Beloved,” the angel said to Rachael.

“Help us,” Rachael cried.

Another of the rocks spluttered and died, leaving one.

The demon pushed at the invisible barrier, fury crossing his handsome face. He pointed at Phoebe. “This rock will not bind me much longer. Prepare to come to me.”

Red light from his hand zinged toward her, wrapping itself around her. Slowly, inexplicably, she could feel herself being pulled toward the demon as if he had bound her with invisible cords.

Rachael screamed. “Phoebe, don’t go near him.” She grabbed onto Phoebe’s shoulders.

“I can’t stop it. He’s pulling me,” Phoebe cried.

Galaden stretched and when his gaze settled on the demon, Agrat, his mouth formed a hard, tight line. “So, Agrat, you’ve come back to wreak havoc on the world.”

“I’m saving my vengeance for you,” the demon snarled.

“Your concubine doesn’t want you. I looked after her well. She was happy with me tending to her every need,” Galaden said, his voice melodic and calm.