II

"Chiba!"
The tiger pounced and tackled the Ayakashi right off her back.
I ran up to it while Chiba held it down and slashed it with my katana, dissolving it to ash.
"Are you OK?" I said.
The lady had a terrified look in her eyes. She quickly got up and ran away. I sighed and sat on the ground in alleyway.
"Why do Neutrals hate us so much, huh girl?" I scratched Chiba's belly and watched the cars fly by. Eventually I decided it was time to go back to the Academy.
A year has passed since the giant Ayakashi attacked the school. I was recognized as the hero and quickly gained popularity among the students, especially since I was dating Coach Drake's daughter.
At age 17, Kazuma himself assigns missions to the students. Some missions are just patroling the area and slaying Ayakashi. Other times its saving a neutral from being possessed by one, like what I just did. Then theres BIG missions, something I've wanted to do for a very long time.
I arrived at the front enterance of the school and walked inside. The atrium made a quick recovery and was fully repaired. As I was walking around, I spotted a familiar face.
"Hi Chiba! Hi Yukine!"
"Hey Mrs. S, I'm glad you're okay."
"Yup! I made a swift recovery and now Im back. Next time, please dont try to kill me."
I laughed nervously. "Yeah, sorry about that." she then flew away to do other things. I continued walking with Chiba to Kazuma's office to let him know I had finished my assignment.
"Knock, knock."
"Ah, Yukine, please come in." I walked inside and sat down. His office was completely renovated with flame retardant paint.
"So, how did your assignment go?"
"It went off without a hitch. But, those Neutrals are always so scared of us..."
"Neutrals dont have powers and cant see Ayakashi, Yuki. So its understandable that they would react like that."
"Yeah whatever. So, its only 10:00 in the morning, you got any more assignments?"
"Actually," he said standing up. "I do. And you'll be going with her. Please come in."
The door opened slowly and there she was.
"Miss Hiyori, you're just in time, please have a seat." Asuna shut the door and sat down in the chair next to me. She wore skin tight white jumpsuit with her hair in a ponytail. Cute as always.
"Now that you two are both here, I will explain your mission. We've recently received info regarding last years incident." Kazuma adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat.
"A large number of Ayakashi has also been attacking Academies across the nation. However, the Academy in California has found something, a sort of hive if you will."
"A hive? Like a beehive?"
"In a sense, yes. There could be a Queen Ayakashi whom all the Ayakashi report to. This is only speculation however."
"So our mission is to investigate this 'hive' in California?"
"That's exactly it."
"So how do we get to California? We're halfway across the country in Rhode Island."
"Excellent question Mr. Zoldyk. You're to travel by any means neccessary, except plane."
"Well why not?"
"People like us have been banned from flying due to Volatiles." He looked directly at me when he said that. I stuck my tongue out at him.
"So whats the fastest way to Cali?" said Asuna.
"I have an idea." I replied. Both Kazuma and Asuna look at me with confused faces.

"You're not serious."
"Oh I'm dead serious. Isnt that right?"
"CAAAAHHHH!"
"See? He wants you to go too."
Asuna sighed. "Guess I have no choice huh?"
"Nope, but it'll be fun trust me."
"Not if we're falling out of the air dying."
The panel to the roof opened and Kazuma appeared.
"Im surprised you fit through there."
"Very funny Mr. Zoldyk. But I have one more thing to tell you. You need a 3rd person for this mission."
"A third person?"
"Yes, and they're right here. C'mon up."
The person pushed past Kazuma and climbed onto the roof.
"Oh, its you."
"Yukine!"
Ebi ran over and hugged me, his head only reaching my waist. He's only 11 now, but he's gotten way taller. Ebi basically became my little brother at the Academy, He always followed me around or sometimes sparred with me in training.
"Hey little guy, surprised to see you here." I turned my head to Kazuma.
"Shouldn't Rafe be here instead? He could be of great assistance."
"Im afraid Mr. Kuri is on his own mission right now. Ebi will have to suffice. Plus a medic is imperative for every team."
"But he's only 11, he's not even qualified for missions and he cant even see-"
"I trust you'll take care of him Mr. Zoldyk." And just like that, he closed the panel and left.
"Hey, Yuki, where are we going?"
"Kazuma didnt even tell you anything?, when we get back Im gonna-"
"We're going to California Ebi." said Asuna.
"CALIFORNIA?! AWESOME!"
"Hey, we might wanna hurry before Ayakashi start sniffing us out." I said.
This time I had a saddle for Edgar. Ive learned my lesson flying without one. Asuna strapped Ebi in and we were ready to go.
"Ok Edgar, were going West. You ready?"
"CAAAAHHHHH!" he answered.
"Good boy. Lets go!"
Edgar dived off the roof and began flying upwards towards the Sun. After we reached a cruising speed. I unstrapped myself and stretched.
"You sure thats a good idea?" said Asuna, too afraid to unstrap herself.
"Yeah, I do it all the time." I scooted towards the back of Edgar's neck and laid down in his feathers.
"You gotta face your fears babe."
"Weren't you scared of heights too? You're one to talk."
"Emphasis on 'was'. Once you start flying a lot, you'll get used to it.
We were flying for about 6 hours straight when I decided it was time to land and check where we are. Edgar did a nose dive and Ebi and I laughed as Asuna screamed. When we landed Asuna vomited in a ditch on the side road.
"Ew. Girls dont do that stuff."
"Shut up. Where are we exactly?"
It looked to be a very rural area with wheat fields on either side of the one road. There were no houses in sight.
"Hey look, theres a sign over there." I turned my head in the direction she was pointing and spotted it.
"Welcome to Ohio."
"Ohio huh? Home of Incest."
Ebi slid off of Edgar and yawned. "Incest? Whats that?"
"Its when 2-"
"Yuki! Stop doing that, jeez. You need to be a model older brother."
"Im sure brothers talk about this stuff all the time. Hey, Ebi, tell her that word I told you."
"You're a slut Asuna." he said with smile.
I glanced in Asuna direction and she went invisible. Oh no.
She punched me so hard in the gut I went flying into the ditch on the side of the road.
"YUKINEEEEEEEEEE! I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU."
"Hey! You're setting a bad example for Ebi you hypocrite." I rolled out of the way as she slammed her fist into the pavement, cracking it. I jumped up and immediately ducked as she swung a hard left.
"Hey guy's a car is coming." said Ebi.
I looked behind me and see 2 headlights in the distance. Thats strange, I thought. This was a deserted road with no houses in sight. Asuna and I moved to the side of the road to let the car pass, but instead the car slowed down when it reached us. The window rolled down and an elderly couple was inside. The old lady in the passenger seat smiled at us.
"Sorry to bother you youngsters, but we happened to be lost. Could you help us?"
Asuna and I glanced at each other and shrugged.
"Sure Miss. Where you headed?"
"The Underworld."
"Huh-"
All of a sudden a snake like Ayakashi flew out of the old ladies mouth and bit me on the neck. Asuna reacted quickly, grabbing the katana off my back and slicing the Ayakashi in half.
"Shit, they're possessed! Get back Yuki!"
I stumbled backwards, still holding my neck wound. The second snake Ayakashi flew out of the old man in the driver seat and went flying at Asuna. She jumped in the air and stabbed it in the head. The ash fell to the ground and blew away in the wind. Asuna ran over to me. "Yuki are you ok, hey yukiiii..." My vision was fading and my body felt weak. I noticed Ebi run over and inspect my neck.
"...infected..."
"...need certain ingredients..."
"...a day at most..."
Then I blacked out.