chapter eight: curly haired weirdo

Maia and the others had been fighting for too long, it had seemed

Maia and the others had been fighting for too long, it had seemed. She was beginning to grow restless and irritable, two things that didn't pair well. Her patience was running out by the second and before long, she would resort to more than just weak defense tactics. The extraterrestrial had extensive military training and suppressing both her physical strength and her powers was causing her to grow dangerously splenetic.

"This has gone on long enough, just give me the signal and I will demolish every single one of them in seconds."

Steve Rogers winced at the thought of his friends being 'demolished' by someone with Maia's abilities. "No, no that won't be necessary. We won't be demolishing anyone. They're our friends."

"Your," Maia corrected pointedly, fixing her frizzed curls. "Your friends, Steven Rogers, not mine."

Bucky appeared next to Maia, placing his hand on her shoulder. She seemed mentally tired yet physically ready to tear someone in half, literally; and that wasn't what they needed right now. "Maia listen, you've fought enough, this isn't even your fight-"

"Say that to everyone attempting to help us, Bucky. It's not their fight either but they are still fighting. I am going to continue fighting..and maybe even killing if it comes down to it," Maia offered Bucky a brief smile, fixing his hair for him.

Bucky frowned as Maia remained nonchalant, attempting to put his hair up for him. "Maia no, we can't kill them. We've been over this..."

"If we do not kill them in this very moment they will continue their violent pursuits and we will not reach the doctor in time," Maia scoffed, removing Bucky's hand from her shoulder when he denied her idea again. "If we will not kill them, we need to come up with another plan in order to get to the jet."

"The hot, curly haired weirdo is right! We need a plan!" Scott Lang's voice cackled over the communication devices the group shared together. "I think I've got one."

Maia frowned deeply. "I do not approve of you referring to me as a 'weirdo' but I would like to hear your plan."

"Look, on my signal, run like hell!" The man ordered, Maia being unable to see him anywhere which annoyed her. "If I tear myself in half, don't come back for me!"

Both Maia and Bucky turned to Steve to receive help in understanding what Scott had said. The extraterrestrial scrunched her eyebrows in confusion when the blond revealed that he was also unsure of Scott's words. "I do not understand what he means, he was supposed to explain, not confuse."

"He's going to tear himself in half?" Bucky questioned out loud, though he was talking to himself. Maia shook her head, tucking her curls behind her ears.

"No, he said 'if' he tears himself in half," Maia told him, happy that she understood something of what Scott Lang had just announced. Steve offered both Maia and Bucky a spare glance before he released a deep breath, coming to terms with the fact that Sam Wilson was right and he would be forced to leave half of his team behind. The two were off in their own world while Steve and Sam conversed with each other.