"Mikaela, answer me this," I pegged him with a flat stare. "How much do you trust him?"

"Seriously?"

"Mikaela, what do you even know about him? And I can see it, you've started to trust him, at least a little. You blush whenever he touches you. Even if he just brushes you hand. Mikaela, they way he looks at you scares the crap out of me. I have this feeling he's going to take you out of this world, drag you kicking and screaming into his and I'll never see you again."

The raw pain in his voice stopped my breath in my chest. Maybe Trent wasn't crazy. "Rore,"

"Yeah?"

"If you tried to, you could never lose me. Got it?"

"Thanks, Mikaela."

"Rory, I told you yesterday, and I'll tell you again, and this is the last time. I don't like repeating myself. I need you to make it through what's left of this year. I need you on my side. Got it?"

"Yeah, you've got it."

"Good, now get back to work."

"Aye, aye, captain." Rory smiled.

I shook my head as he left. I was tired of this game we were playing, the back and forth. I sincerely hoped it was really at a close. I knew that we had a conference call at eleven and I called Meri in to prepare for that. We reviewed the reports sent back to us from the sharks we've tagged and how that corresponded to the data we already had. I changed into the suit I kept in my office for just such meetings, Santi had great updates which I then reported to the co-chairman of the National Cancer Institute to share my theory and findings as well as to my contact who has his foot in the door at the national food and drug administration. With any luck, I may be able to start testing within another one to three years. Now that I have unlimited funding, that opened possibilities too. Money talks to politicians way more than any facts I could possibly present. Once that was finished, I spent the next several hours cleaning tanks and inspecting them for any signs of damage. Needless to say, when I was finished, I was dog tired and looking forward to my head hitting the pillow tonight.

When I got home, I was a little surprised to see a covered plate, a rose in a vase and a note.

Mikaela,

I had some corporate executives come in from Japan. We're having sushi downtown. You're welcome to join, but just in case, you have dinner at home. I'll see you tonight.

~ T

p.s. don't make any plans for tomorrow

I took a grateful seat at the table. I really didn't want to go out after the day that I had. I ate quickly and showered. I sat down on my couch and pulled out a book.

The next thing I knew I was being carried. "Huh? What?"

"You fell asleep on the couch. You'll get a crick in your neck if you sleep like you were." Trent murmured in my ear.

"Mmm, you smell nice,"

I felt the chuckle vibrate around his chest. "I'm glad you approve. Let's get you in bed. You must have had a busy day."

"Mmm, yeah,"

I was still half asleep as Trent tucked me in and crawled in beside me.

When I woke up I was surprised to find myself still wearing my bathrobe. Why wouldn't I have changed into my pajamas? I pulled my robe closer to me and saw Trent's still sleeping form. His brow was creased and he had a frown on his face. I wondered what he was dreaming about as I got out of bed, careful not to disturb him. I grabbed a pair of sweatpants and a tank top and headed to the bathroom to change. I checked in my fridge for what I may have stocked it with. I was surprised to see it nearly full. Trent must have gone grocery shopping.