Chapter 8: Hedgehog's Dilemma

Start from the beginning

“You just?” I asked, pushing Daniel further.

“I  just, I can’t stop thinking that if I had never let Van run off on her own that day. If I had just held onto her hand firmly, that she might never have; it might never have happened you know?”  Daniel looked forlorn.

“We quarreled,” Daniel admitted. “That day, Van and I, we had a fight. It was a petty squabble, too. I wanted her to attend the event. She thought it was silly and didn’t want to go, but it was important to me, and…” Daniel sighed. “I forced her to. I think, in my own insufferable way, I forced Vanessa to be there, to be present at a time when she lost her life.”

I was quiet. This was a side of Daniel that I admit I hadn’t really been accustomed to. I remembered that tiny fight quite well now that he brought it up. It seemed so paltry and insignificant now.

“So where are you originally from, Haley?” said Daniel, changing the subject.

“Chicago.” I said it without thinking - quickly realizing how stupid that was to say.

“So am I,” said Daniel. “Chicago doesn’t have that many Wellingtons. To be honest, I’m not sure I’ve run into any,” he said.

“Yes, well, my family is rather reclusive,”  I said.

“So where do you hail from in Chicago?” Daniel insisted.

Here we go Daniel.

“Winnetka,” I said. “And I have some cousins in Kenilworth.”

“I see, you’re Old Money,” Daniel said again.

I smiled, not knowing what else to say. Time had stopped for me, I must admit, but here in this timeless twilight zone, I had found yet another chance for me to be with the person I loved most. But would this Daniel fall for my new persona or be forever stuck loving the dead Vanessa Hunter?

“Daniel?”

“Hmmm?”

“Have you ever come across the term, Cabrit Sans Cor?”

“I can’t say I have, Haley. I’m afraid I can’t help you with that.”

I smiled. “It’s okay, Daniel.”

“Ummm… Haley?” he asked me in a voice that sounded unsure.

“Yes, Daniel?”

“Do you have plans for tonight?”

“You’re asking the girl who was attacked just a few nights before and has no recollection of the matter what I’m doing tonight?” I chuckled.

Daniel turned bright red. ”Well, not in so many words…” he began but faltered.

I chuckled. “It’s ok. It’s not like I’ve made plans,” I jokingly said.

“So, how well do you know Grim?” Daniel asked.

“Richard? All my life.” I was getting better at this lying thing by the day.

“There are people in the business community who would consider Richard Grim a bit of an enigma.”

“I can see that,” I said, laughing.

“You can?”

“Richard can be, well, eccentric,” I said. “He’s been a friend of the family for as long as I can remember. I trust him.”

“That’s nice. You need people you can trust.” Daniel breathed in deep. “Listen Haley, I swear I’m not like this with all the young ladies I meet, and I promise to stop drawing comparisons to Vanessa, but there’s just this, I don’t know, this something that draws me to you, makes me want to know you more. I’ve felt this way ever since we met at the dinner, and when I ran into you so suddenly at Jackson Square, it’s like, you know, Fate.” He exhaled loudly. “There. I’ve said it. You can call me creepy and file a restraining order now.”