Chapter 2 - Heart Beat

I heard faint footsteps as I hid under the covers from the outside world.

There was a small knock on my door.

I waited a second. "Who is it?" I asked, hoping it wasn't my mum.

"Adnan." His voice sent shivers down my spine.

"Come in." I whispered, which was shortly followed by a presence walking into my room, and sitting on the bed.

"Are you ok?" He asked, resting his hand on my back. I still refused to come out of the covers.

"Yeh." I could feel my heart beating faster. "Sorry for ruining the dinner." I said, trying to hold in the tears that were due.

"It's alright, your mums pasta is amazing!" He tried to lighten the mood. "Are you going to come out?" He continued.

"Nope." I chuckled.

"Please. I need to see that beautiful face of yours Sinead." He complimented.

"I'm a mess Adnan. I'm hungover and I look like shit." I explained.

"That's not what I think." Adnan pulled away the sheets, revealing my face and the top part of my body.

"What are you even doing here? I thought you were some fancy footballer." I sat up and leant back on the bed frame.

"I’m visiting here again. And our families thought it would be nice to see each other again. I couldn't wait to see you again." Adnan blushed.

"Well I guess you were pretty disappointed then." I smirked, playing with the sleeve of my jacket.

"I wasn't disappointed; I was shocked more than anything." He spoke, looking around my messy room.

"Oh. Well I'm going out now, sorry." I needed to get out of here. I hate talking about feelings.

"Where are you going?" Adnan asked politely.

"Out with friends." I simply replied.

"Are you going to drink?"

"Probably." I whispered.

"Can I come?" He stood up next to me.

"Why? Wouldn't that ruin your reputation?" I coughed.

"One little drink won't hurt." He smiled, but I could tell he was scared.

"That's what I said all those years ago." I looked in the mirror and sorted out parts of stranded hair.

We crept out of the house, making sure no one saw or heard.

"So where do you go?" Adnan struggled to catch up with me.

"I'll tell you when we get there." I said, trying to not give much information away incase I got in trouble.

We arrived at the abandoned house, where many of my drunk/ high friends were. It's terrible, I know.

"Hi." I smiled to them, signalling for someone to pass me alcohol.

"Want some?" I asked a shocked Adnan. He's probably never seen so many Belgian druggies. Especially as it's against our religion. He nodded slowly, as I passed him the bottle. He took one sip and spat it out immediately.

"Waheyyy!!" One of the boys shouted, as Adnan wiped his mouth.

"I've never had a drink before, of course I'm gonna hate it." He stood up for himself. I could tell he was becoming incredibly uncomfortable as he wasn't used to such an environment.

I lit up a cigarette, as I engaged in conversation with a few of the others. Adnan remained silent.

“Immy, I need you to get me some more tobacco, I'm running low." I asked.

"What's in it for me?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Whatever you want." I said, a little worried about Immy’s answer.

"We could all do with some more booze. Go and nick some from the corner shop." She instructed. I suddenly stood up, followed by a startled Adnan.

"Are you actually going to?" He whispered in my ear, making my heart race again.

"Of course, I've done it before."