Chapter Twenty-nine: The speech

Start from the beginning

“I managed to get information out of him so I could find out what was happening, it was the only way, I had to warn Ms Lovejoy.” She slowly mumbled off, as if her attention was being taken by something else.

Silence settled between them as I slowly began to understand what was happening.

“But why are they doing it? Do the kids have a choice?”

“Power, it’s what their school name means, in Latin Eximius means power. From what I’ve heard Mr Galan had underground lessons, basically brainwashing them to kill without mercy.”

It sickened me, to know that someone would do that to kids, kids my age. It was unforgivable.

“Common lets go in. I don’t want to get stuck out here.”Maddy finally spoke, already beginning to go towards the door. I moved next to her, keeping my gaze ahead as I understood what was happening.

“I’m so sorry.” I whispered to the girl. She gave a small nod but even the strongest person in the world couldn’t smile after witnessing their friend’s murder.

--------------------

The word had gone out long before we entered the school; they hadn’t been informed about a lot, just to get to the gym quickly.

Everyone in the school waited, many still dressed in pyjamas, on the stadium stands as the teachers grouped out the front, a microphone waiting to be turned on.

Ms Lovejoy glided in, now wearing a more appropriate outfit. Going straight over to the microphone she took a few second to check that it was working before beginning to speak.               

“Hello students of Vires academy, I’m sure you’re all wondering why I got you out of bed in the middle of the night and because it is very important I will get right to the point. A long time ago a girl at this school got the power of prediction. She predicted a day where the grounds of the school would be covered in red, the blood of the students would be smeared across the grounds and the screams of dying children would fill the air like a tremendous roar. She spoke of a day when we would turn on each other, our own kind fighting in a battle that would lead to nothing but death.

That day is upon us; I fear to tell you that the students of Eximius Academy are on their way and their intensions are not kind. Already Facultatem Academy and Specialis Academy have fallen but there is no time to mourn the death of our friends, we must prepare for the unenviable." Ms Lovejoy spoke calmly, letting the students slowly understand.

The room fell into a hush; everyone froze in a collective mass. People starred at their principle with pure terror as one girl even began to cry. Everyone knew what Ms Lovejoy meant, most likely been warn about the predication in school before.

Some minutes passed before finally Ms Lovejoy stepped up to the microphone again. "Questions, please?"

As usual the students shrunk back a little, not wanting to be the individual and ask what they were all dying to know.

An older girl took the initiative and spoke up, her voice squeaky against the still silence. "What are we going to do? Shouldn't we be running right now?"

Ms Lovejoy nodded solemnly before answering. "Underneath the school is a small tunnel leading out into the Eljan woods but its only wide enough for single file. If we can keep the Eximius students off long enough we can get everyone through but I don't know if there is enough power to keep them away. I hope to get the younger kids down into the tunnel first."

That brought the students into more of an uproar but the next question soon came up.

"Can't we bring in the police? The army? Someone?!" A boy yelled against the crowd.

"The outside world is no help to us. In their eyes we do not exist, we've never existed and by the time we got into contact with them we would all be dead." Ms Lovejoy added with a hint of anger.

"What happens if the outer walls crumble? We'll be completely vulnerable in the tunnel." This was asked by Pip, who stood up to catch everyone’s gaze.

Ms Lovejoy took a long noticeable breath, closing her eyes for a few seconds. "I'm afraid that's up to all of you. The teachers and I will be doing all we can to protect you but there aren't enough of us...that's why I have to ask a favour. The favour is to fight alongside us until the tunnel is clear. Now I will not force anyone, neither do I want you to feel obliged to follow us out onto the field. Do not feel pressured or forced to come because those people do not make warriors. Children under 12 years of age will be taken directly to the tunnels, taking with them minimal supplies to survive the journey."

That was it, that was the beginning of the battle.