The Girl Who Lived...Through Draco Malfoy - Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

The door at the top of the stairs opened and someone came stomping down.

“You’ve been requested.” It was Bellatrix. I recognized her from the wanted posters. She grabbed a handful of my hair, yanking me up on my feet. I could feel her ripping out chunks of hair as she dragged me to the stairs.

“Hey!” she stopped, turning to Draco who was on his feet.

“Don’t do anything stupid boy.” Bellatrix warned; he stepped back. She pulled me up the stairs and through the door, throwing me to the ground. It wasn’t the reading room, but rather a drawing room. “We’re going to have a little fun.” She clapped her hands together, pulling a chair from the side of the room. “Sit.” She ordered.

“No thanks, I’ll stand.” She pulled out her wand, walking over to me.

“Sit or I’ll hurt you very, very badly.” she stuck it under my chin, grabbing my arm. “Now, sit.” She ordered again, pushing me towards the chair. I sat, watching as Voldemort walked into the room.

“Have you been enjoying your company?” he asked, taking out his wand, Bellatrix standing behind him.

“Not really. He’s really quite annoying.” He laughed, walking closer.

“I thought you two might get along seeing as he’s quite taken with you.” I raised an eyebrow. He was lying, trying to confuse me.

“So what do I owe this visit to?” I asked, changing the subject.

“As you may know, Harry and I have a special mind connection. Today I want to show him he should come find you quickly.” He smirked, Bellatrix laughing behind him. He pointed his wand and yelled, “Crucio!” A blinding pain ran through my whole body and a horrible scream erupted from my throat. It felt as if I was being stabbed by thousands of knives at once and they continued to dig deeper and deeper, twisting as they dug in. It felt like I was on the edge of death, like blood was pouring from every pore, but there was nothing; just the extreme pain and the sound of my screams. I wouldn’t die, but rather be in pain forever.

Then, the pain stopped and all that was left was the memory. Voldemort stared down at me, his wand still pointed at my chest.

“Please, no more.” I begged, catching my breath. He laughed, replacing his wand in his in his robes.

“Bellatrix, replace her in the cellar.” She did as he said, pulling me by the back of my shirt. I didn’t fight this time. I would rather be trapped in the cellar than feeling that pain again. She opened the door, pushing me inside and slamming it closed again. I tripped down the stairs, barely catching myself at the bottom.

I crawled over to the wall, pulling my knees into my chest. I was shaking and I couldn’t stop it. Something draped around my shoulders, making me jump.

“Sorry.” Draco was holding his jacket, wrapping it around me.

“I’m not cold.” I said still shaking. He sat down next to me.

“I know.” I looked over at him, puzzled. He looked straight ahead, staring at nothing. We sat in those positions until I fell asleep, unable to keep my eyes open any longer.

I woke up, my legs aching form being in the same position for too long. I sat up, stretching my legs out. Then I noticed it: I’d been sleeping with my head on Draco’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry.” I said, moving over a few inches.

“It’s fine. I fell asleep, too.” I looked down at the ground and noticed the sandwich. I picked it up, holding it out for Draco.

“Here, you must be hungry.” He shook his head.

“No, we’ll share it.” He took it, splitting it in half and handing me the bigger piece. I looked at him, taking a small bite and savoring it. He was being nice, but why? We ate our food in silence, my hands still shaking.

The door opened and someone walked down, stopping at the bottom. Lucius looked from me to Draco then back again.

“You two need to come with me.” Draco stood up immediately, walking to his father. I followed, my body shaking again. We stopped in the drawing room again, the chair gone. Voldemort stood in the middle of the room, Bellatrix by his side. Lucius took his place behind Voldemort, Draco following.

“Welcome back Draco.” Voldemort said, turning to him. “I hope your time with the mud blood hasn’t made you soft.” Draco just shook his head, but I could see fear in his eyes. He looked over at me, his face haggard. If he looked like that after only a week, I wondered what I looked like. “Now, I want you to watch as she screams for help. Watch her squirm like the vermin she is.” He whipped out his wand, yelling, “Crucio!” The pain took over my body, making me fall to my knees. It was a different pain this time. It felt like my skin was on fire; like I was burning to death. I looked up at Draco who had stepped forward, his father holding him back. I felt tears running down my face as my flesh burned.

“Stop!” The pain stopped, but my skin was still tingling. Draco had broken free of his father’s grasp and was standing over me.

“You defend her?” Voldemort asked, his voice growing angry.

“I-“ he stuttered, stepping back to his father who look terrified.

“It seems you’ve got our Draco under your spell.” Voldemort said to me, replacing his wand. “Put them back in the cellar.” Lucius looked nervously from Voldemort to Draco then followed his instructions. He pulled me up and led us both to the cellar, closing the door behind us. I was shaking so badly I couldn’t walk down the stairs. I collapsed on the top step, holding onto the railing for support.

“Wh-why did you do that?” I asked, Draco standing in the middle of the room. He looked up at me, but didn’t answer. “You sh-shouldn’t have d-done that.” I was still shaking, my skin tingling.

“I know.” He sat on the bottom step, cradling his head in his palms.

“Thank you.” He looked back up at me, but, again, stayed silent. As soon as my legs stopped shaking violently I made my way down the stairs and sat next to Draco on the bottom step. I took his hand in mine, squeezing it gently. I wrapped my other hand around it, trying to warm it up just a little. He grabbed mine with his other, interlacing our fingers. “You’re hands are cold.” He smiled faintly.

“Yours are, too.” I smiled and his grew as well. I pulled my hands away, looking down at the ground.

“I’m sorry. I-, “ I stood up, walking away. “I’m the reason you’re down here.” He stood up, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. He led me over to the wall and we both sat down. He pulled me into him and I laid my head on his shoulder. He picked up my hand, interlacing our fingers again. I fell asleep to the sound of his breathing, my hand still linked with his.