"Oh, damn. Well, Commander, you can lead us to victory. You can sleep well once we're finished knowing you led the last of humanity to victory, eh? Cheer up, my man." Marco nudged him  in the ribs, earning a chuckle from him. Arik pulled another cigarette from his pants pocket and lit it before sticking it between his lips.

"I suppose you're right, Marco. We will be victorious and that's what I should keep my eye on."

Marco wrapped an around his shoulders and raised his other arm. "Now we're talking."

They laughed, smoking under the moonlight and digging into more flasks of alcohol. They drank until they lost their inhibitions and conscious, chatting the night away. Thoughts of tomorrow were pushed to the back of their minds as they drank their worries away temporarily.

"So...So, I've got a handful of women waiting for me back home," Marco giggled, a hiccup escaping his drunken lips. "One is with child. She doesn't know that I-I don't commit to shit."

Arik snorted, taking a sip out of a flask. "You're one of a kind, Captain."

"A piece of shit is more like it." Marco snickered before ceasing his laughter in solemn silence. He hated turning into the mopey kind of drunk but, it was inevitable with him. The sudden quiet was unnerving.

"But you know, Commander? I'm alone too." Marco tossed aside his flask and slumped back. "I fuck a lot of women but, that doesn't mean in satisfied with the direction my life has taken. You know why I joined the Corp?"

Arik shook his head, his legs crossed and a trail of smoke left his lips. He seemed to have quickly sobered up. His eyes were closed but his ears were listening.

"I joined because I'm so desperate to fill that void in my chest. I'm...I'm looking for a new adventure to give me that rush bending women over once did. Even killing Titans so skillfully has lost its touch. I can't satiate my adrenaline over the hunt anymore."

Arik tossed his cigarette butt that was burned down to the stub out over the edge and tossed the flask elsewhere over his shoulder. He leaned into Marco's shoulder, about ready to give in to sleeps tempting whispers.

"What more could there be?" Arik asked through a yawn. "What more could possibly pique your unconventional tastes?"

Marco paused, trying to think through his words carefully. His intoxicated tongue desired to spew his sober thoughts recklessly, with no care for consequences. With alcohol on his breath and his brain scrambled, Marco chuckled, hiccups bubbling out of his lips. He leaned forward on his palms and drunkenly, rocker back and forth.

"Well," Marco giggled. "I've always wanted to try a man. That might give me a rush. Merely a dare."

Aril laughed, sinking down to lay in his back with his arms folded under his head. "I never pegged you for that type of person."

Marco scowled, "Well neither did I about you until Twinkie came along. Besides, who the fuck said I'm actually gay? Just experimental is all it is."

"Good luck with that, soldier." Arik shook his head. His eyelids began to droop in a drowsy spell.

"Commander?"

Arik opened his eyes, gazing into the hazy, lustful emerald eyes that belonged to Captain Marco. Marco leaned close. Arik felt his heart pick up the pace, drumming almost painfully against his ribs. He raised a hand, placing it on Marco's chest; ceasing him from getting any closer.

"Captain, you're drunk. You aren't thinking clearly. Sleep."

In the darkness, Arik watched an expression of rejection flicker across his before shaking his head, chuckling nervously. He leaned back against the tree.

"Right. I apologize, Commander. I-I had a little too much. We have a big day tomorrow." Marco sputtered out, his heart racing from embarrassment. He closed his eyes and yawned.

"Sleep well, Captain." Arik whispered. Marco replied with a grunt before settling beside Arik. Before long, he was already snoring. Arik laid awake a little while longer, letting his racing thoughts of confusion run its course.

What was that? I should be way passed this phase but my blood is still boiling. He was too drunk to really know what he was doing. However, drunken words are sober thoughts. Forgetting what was close to happening, I've got to clear my mind for tomorrow. Thankfully, Titans can't move at night. Even the intelligent Titans have some weakness, why-

Wait. Night. This would be the perfect time to move. We could pounce around in the shadows like mosquitos and sting our target. But, we've had a long day so rest is needed. What to do, what to do. I'm in charge and if I'm leading these soldiers to their early graves, I should at least give them easy access to our enemies at their weak points. Well, Marco is too drunk so it's a moot point. Oh well...

Alas, another day of failure ahead.