Chapter 14

It was a week until area. Four days a the week, from an hour a day to six, the Crystal Gems had been working hard to further develop Mirror Gem.

Pearl and Sardonyx had been happy to order the reflective contacts for Lapis, and said actress had stunned the entire troupe to silence when she emerged from the dressing room. Lined with dark mascara, the actress' eyes were mirrors that made it impossible to see inside of her, freezing people on the spot the second she struck them with her gaze.

Peridot would be lying if she didn't find that kinda hot.

The technician had also listened to Lapis' advice and would connect with Garnet during run-through practices, painting her thoughts and correcting scenes that she thought played out too awkwardly in the past. Peridot was feeling more and more confident about their competition at area on the twenty-eighth, and she could tell that the other Crystal Gems were, too.

They were currently rehearsing the resolution of the play, running over new technical cues and prompts after deciding it needed more flash and flare to hypnotize viewers.

Blake broke the ancient mirror prop holding the ghost prisoner. Peridot flicked her thumb over her console faders, flickering the masters at the same time to give the impression of the house shaking. The fog from Amethyst's machines billowed out around Stevonnie and Lapis, who were reciting their lines. The swelling gloom was controlled by a series of fans carefully placed around the set, hidden from audiences; it funneled around them, like a twister slowed by time as Stevonnie chanted the final verse and "set" Lapis free.

Peridot pursed her lips as she changed into one of the last cues in her program, while on her alternate monitor she recorded her recent light changes into a separate cue to install for later performances. She almost missed the final cue, catching on the very last second to put a blue spotlight on Lapis who stood on the tower at the back of the set, bouncy dress swaying freely in the shadows as she laughed, her spirit finally freed of its former spite and anger for being trapped.

She pulled down the lights and waited until she heard Garnet begin clapping, then a round of dog whistles broke out from backstage as the other cast and crew members spilled out. Peridot tapped on the work lights, relieved that she could look away for more than three seconds before something needed changing.

She plucked her cell phone from the satchel on the table, a growl building in her chest and rolling up into her throat like bile when she saw the unread messages from her mother on her lock screen.

With the end of the quarter coming around, her mother's insistence that she apply for the marketing role in her company only amplified. She'd received the first e-mail a week ago, and it hadn't been particularly nice. Then came another the day after, and then another, then another, until it was a daily feat.

If the e-mail didn't read from Yellow Diamond, Peridot would have thought it was some pestering bot and deleted the message the minute it popped into her inbox.

But, no. There was a living, breathing, and very agitating person on the other side of the e-mail who was adamant to see her daughter working in her service. Eugh.

She had told Lapis about it the third day of getting the e-mails, and Lapis still defended her argument from a few weeks ago: that Peridot should tell her that she could fuck right off and leave her be.

She wouldn't use those exact words, of course. Even if she really wanted to.

Curse the perfunctory manners she'd been raised to speak with with that crazy businesswoman breathing down her neck.

Curtain in 5, 4 . . .जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें