"Why? Surely there is no harm in our friendship." James told him.

"But I am concerned with the fact that it might develop into more. Elizabeth clearly likes you very much, and as much as it pains me to say this, she will never be able to be more than a friend to you."

James put his head in his hand. It was difficult to hear, but he had suspected that this may happen. She was a royal, after all, and he was just a poor villager.

"I don't know if I can do that," James replies.

"You will most likely cause her pain of you continue to talk to her."

"Who is she to marry?" James asked. He almost didn't want to know the answer, but he felt like he needed to hear. Perhaps if he knew that the man was kind he wouldn't be so worried.

"Prince Jackson, from the kingdom of Zari." The king told him

"Elle will be their queen?" James asked. He couldn't imagine that Elle would want that.

"Yes, Eliza will be," James didn't miss the emphasis put on her name.

"I don't think she would want that," James told the king.

"I think she can decide for herself."

This made James angry. "Decide for herself? I don't think that she is making any of her own decisions in this!"

"Calm down, James." The king instructed, and then waited for a moment for him to breathe steadily.

"What is prince Jackson like?" James asked.

"I am unsure. We have never met him. But he is set to arrive any day now. He began travelling shortly after we told him that Elizabeth has returned."

"So she will meet him soon?" James said. He hoped that he would be around to see what he was like. Although, in a way, he didn't want to know. It would hurt him to see who Elle would marry.

"Yes, she will."

They sat in silence for a moment more.

"Now, James, I must ask you to keep your distance. I would like to offer you a job based solely in other villages. You will rarely visit the castle, so you will rarely see Elizabeth. When she leaves with Jackson, you may return to your current job."

"Is this an order?" James asked, holding his breath.

"No. It is an option." The king then added, "But I highly advise it."

James thought for a moment. He wanted to see Elle as much and possible. And he had to see what Jackson was like.

"Then no. I will not do it." James answered firmly.

"Are you sure about that? It will be easier for both of you if you stay away."

"If Elle wants me to stay away, I will. But only if I hear the words from her." James answered. He had never been so sure about anything in his life.

"Very well, then. But if anything happens, it will turn into an order. Is that clear?"

"Yes, your highness. You have my word," James pledged.

James stood up and walked to the door.

"Are you sure of your decision? It is never too late to change your mind," the king said as James opened the door.

"My decision will not change. That is one thing that I am certain about," James said, as he shut the door behind him.

He walked over to a wall and leant against it. He took a deep breath and tried to relax slightly.

Sure, it was horrible news, but it was something that he couldn't change. Even if he promised to try his hardest.

"Are you okay?" James heard a voice from in front of him. He looked up to see Andrew.

"You know about it?" James asked him.

Andrew nodded. "But we are not happy. Eliza is devastated with the news, as she rightfully should be."

"Of course," James said.

"What did father say to you?"

"He wants me to leave. But I have refused." James said.

"Good. We are going to try and find a way out of this. You can have my word on that. We would all much rather you for our little sister than a prince who lives far away." Andrew said, before saying goodbye and walking into his father's office.

James was left thinking about what Andrew had said. Maybe there was still a chance.

VOTE

COMMENT

:):)