Chapter Eighteen: That Undeniable Latin Charm

Start bij het begin

On the other hand, I'd be a fool to decline a free trip to Spain.

As I'm reading through emails, I hear footsteps outside of my office. I assume it's Alejandro, and I quickly get up in my seat to greet him. Only it isn't Alejandro. It's one of the managers of the firm, Phil Page. I don't mind Phil. To be quite honest, I don't pay him any mind. We've only had one meeting so far with the managers and associates, and Phil seemed nice enough for an older man such as himself. Occasionally, he'll talk to Darcy and ask if her workspace is comfortable enough for her or even come to me and try his hand at small talk. I'm not one for small talk with my bosses though, but apparently he is.

"Good morning, Leslie," he says. "I hope I didn't interrupt anything you were doing."

"Oh, no Mr. Page I was just reading emails."

He laughs a bit while entering my office. I can't help but look at that god-awful mustache of his; 70's male pornstar flashbacks.

"You don't have to be formal. Phil is fine. I'm sure we're on a first name basis by now."

"Oh, sorry. Phil it is, then."

Phil takes a seat in one of the chairs and gets comfortable. I sit back down at my desk. "I've noticed that you've had a lot of foot traffic around your office. You know, you're more than welcome to use our conference rooms."

"I like to get personal with my clients. I only like using the conference room when it's more than two people in here."

"I see, I see." He takes in my office again. I'm starting to become apprehensive. "You know, it's so funny. You're so reserved; the other associates talk about how they rarely see you."

"No offense, but I'm not really one to do anything but work at the work place."

Phil nods. "Right, you're right. But outside the workplace, you're more outgoing?"

Fuck. I know where this is going. Of course, I chose this day to wear that dark purple dress with the low neckline that Paul just "couldn't get enough of."

"Not really," I reply. "I mostly just work."

"That's too bad. You're still so young, you should be enjoying yourself."

And then he goes on to tell me everything he does in his free time, from golfing with his friends to fishing with his son who is actually my age; his son is my fucking age and he's hitting on me. I'm nodding and pretending I'm interested in his words as he goes on and on, but the moment I look up, I see him—that tall, dark Latin prince leaning against the doorway, staring at Phil with annoyance and amusement in his eyes; Alejandro sees how irritated I am and thinks it's hilarious. Darcy is behind him giggling like a school girl. Alejandro holds a finger to his lips at me; he wants to see this fiasco through.

"That sounds amazing, Phil," I answer once he's finished. He's beaming like a child receiving praise.

"Maybe one day, I could take you on my boat. Teach you a thing or two about fishing. I'm sure you'd like that."

"My father actually owns his own fishing company in San Francisco, so I know the basics."

Phil's smile fades a little. "Well, all the more reason to come along. My family owns a lake up in Northern California."

"I don't think your wife, Kimberly would like that very much."

"Uh K-Kimberly?" he stutters. "Kimberly? Sh-she'd—no, no she'd be coming with us. She'd be there."

"Right. Well, maybe someday."

"Yeah, sure. No problem," he clears his throat and tries to come back from his last fuck up. "And also, the rest of the managers and I wanted to recognize the clientele you've been bringing in. Sebastian Harrison and the Quintanilla's have been bringing in major profit. And you've managed to score Terrence Finch and his daughter, too?"