Jared ran his hand over the scruff on his chin and breathed out deeply. Just hearing the world album, it filled him with so much hope and fear all at once. this next album meant everything, the lawsuit and the record label could go to hell but this album was going to be the thing to pull them out of this pit if not financially, emotionally and mentally. As much as Jared wanted to pretend he was a little boy again and get lost in a fantasy pretending it would be okay, he knew his big brother was right. It wasn’t okay. He looked over at his daughter, innocently playing off while him and Shannon talked. That was what he was most afraid of. Jared snapped his fingers and pointed down at the ground. That was his way of telling the cameras to go off, by now the crew knew it meant he was going to talk about his daughter.

“You know what pissed me off most about these mother fuckers? When they sued us it wasn’t just… us. I have a kid to take care of man. What if…” Jared froze and opened his eyes wide before blinking, holding back tears.

“Nothing is going to happen to that little girl man, you’d never let that happen. I wouldn’t. Tomo wouldn’t” Shannon said in a low voice, not wanting to alert his niece. “I mean we may be fucked” he laughed trying to lighten the situation “but she’ll always be taken care of”.

“30 million dollars dude, if we lost this I don’t know where that leaves the family” it pained Shannon to see his brother, always the dreamer, talk like this. Jared continued to keep his eyes on his daughter, wondering if her change in attitude was just a reflection of his or if there was something deeper she wasn’t saying.

“Remember we were way worse off…. and did mom ever let us down?” 

Jared looked at his brother and cracked a  half smile, that was all the answer Shannon needed. He felt the phone in his pocket begin to vibrate and pulled it out, his lawyer. Shannon gave Jared a knowing look before walking over to pick up Gregan. She had become accustomed to the looks her father and uncle were giving, so she knew there was tension in the air. 

Once inside the house they joined her dad on the couches outside the studio. She looked through the glass door as best she could and saw copious food wrappers and coffee mugs, signaling thy had been in there all night. More like every night the past few months. The camera men resumed filming Jared and Gregan watched them more comfortably. At first she was nervous around them, not wanting anymore bad people around her dad, but as they were around for a few months she grew to understand what was happening. The way Jared explained it, was he wanted both him and her to be able to look back on these days when hopefully things were better, and remember how bad it could be. Jared was worried that might be too morbid for her, but it was the only way he could explain what was happening without fully explaining it. 

Gregan settled next to her uncle and watched her father on the phone. He was dressed unusually. Just plain black pants and a plain black long sleeve with his hair tied back in a low bun. It was unusual for him. No flannel, no scarfs, not even his echelon necklace. Jared had been too distracted and too determined to get this situation fixed that some days he didn’t even have time to look in the mirror or dress how he usually wanted. Shannon tickled Gregan’s sides to make her smile, but it just made her uncomfortable not to be able to hear what her dad was saying. 

“Hey kid come here!” Shannon said picking her up in his his bear hands as her father called them. He held her against his chest in a hug and she couldn’t resist but to wrap her arms around his neck tightly. Shannon did give the best hugs. To tell the truth, Gregan needed one badly. She may have been too young to understand exactly what was happening but she knew something was up. Knowing that however didn’t change the fact that she needed love. Sometimes Jared got so consumed in his work she feared he forgot about her.   “Don’t worry about your daddy all right? He’s got everything under control”.