"Hello" she said into the phone.

There was a short pause and Carmen's eyebrows knitted together. She clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes as if she had heard something stupid.

"Whatever Ian, Zen is right here, she'll be ready in about 20 minutes."

I laughed at her sudden mood change. "What was that about?"

Just as she had gotten done she spoke, "Nothing, but come on and get dressed, He's on his way"

I nodded and got up from my seat. I walked to her spacious bathroom with my outfit in hand. As I pulled the high-waist jeans over my legs I thought about Carmen. This was obviously a time when she needed the people she was closest to in her life.

With her mother gone on business and her father barely home because of work, she was probably feeling abandoned. I admit, I have been neglecting her, but she hasn't seemed to mind besides her just recent breakdown. She just still seemed like she was busy and doing fine.

I made a mental note to spend some more time with her soon. At that moment I heard the chime of a doorbell and I knew it was Ian. I fixed my hair, put on a little more gloss, and walked out the bathroom. I grabbed my purse and proceeded downstairs.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs I saw a very angry Ian, but amused Carmen standing in the foyer. Since neither of them noticed me I just stood there, seeing where this would go.

"Yo, shut the fuck up" Ian semi-yelled.

Carmen let out a long laugh, before noticing me at the stairs

"Look there's Zen" she said pointing right to me. Ian's eyes followed her gesture and looked to me. He had a happy look in his eyes, as if it was his first time really seeing me.

He looked at me as if I was the only person in the room, and it in some way made me feel special. The way I hoped he thought of me. I slowly walked down the stairs meeting Carmen and Ian at the bottom.

"So... what were y'all talking about" I said with a little suspicion in my voice, I think I had a right to know. I mean if it weren't for me they wouldn't even know each other

"Nothing important" Carmen lied with a smirk threatening to come on her lips. I rolled my eyes and pulled Ian to my side. "You ready?"

Ian nodded and led me out the door. Neither of us said any goodbyes to Carmen as we walked to the car and got in.

Once we were in the car Ian started the engine and left Carmen's house.

"Where are we going?" I asked not able to hold in the curiosity anymore. Ian being Ian wouldn't tell me on the phone. Even though I pleaded and pleaded he refused over and over again. At this moment I just couldn't take it.

He let out a small laugh. "Why are you always so nosy, you can't just take a surprise?"

"Actually I can't" I said in a smart tone.

"Well we're going bowling"

"Bowling?" I repeated as if I didn't heard him before.

I haven't been bowling in I don't even know how long. The last time I remember was Tommy's fifth birthday, back when mama was alive. That was one of the best days we had spent together in a long time. Before Dawn and I had grown apart. I had never been the best at bowling, but I always had fun trying.

"Yeah, that cool?" he asked nervously.

"Yeah it should be fun."

"It won't be fun for you when you get your ass whooped" he said with a smirk on his face.