Chapter 32 - From Villain to Hero

Start from the beginning

I crouch down, and count twenty-six magic beans, "Good work girls," I say with a smile, and scoop them into my own pouch, "this means a lot."

"Why? Is it for that girl that lives here?" Cressida asks.

I sigh and fail to suppress my growing smile, "Yes. She's in danger. And I need to save her."

"Why do you feel so...obligated?" She says, disappointed and unimpressed.

"I made a promise to her last time, and I didn't stick to it. I need to make it up to her, and I can only do that by saving her. So, thank you for this."

"You're welcome. But we need to go, we have somewhere to be. King Triton's daughter has gone missing, and we need to find her. Bye, Peter."

"Goodbye," and once again, I watch them disappear under the water, their multi-coloured tails the last thing I see.

I take one of the beans between my thumb and forefinger. I glance back at the forest of Neverland behind me. I've never been off of the island on my own for a long time, and I've never left the Shadows in charge before. I'm apprehensive, but Davina needs me more. So I turn back, throw the bean into the water and watch the portal grow, a mixture of greens, blues and purples mixed with Neverland's clear water. With a deep breath, I dive into the swirling mass, and journey to Storybrooke.

- - -

I land on a forest ground with a thud and I have to take a moment to catch my breath before I can push myself up to stand. I brush the leaves and dirt from my front and look up. For anyone who doesn't know how magic beans work would think they'd just travelled to another part of the island, but I can smell the change in the air. It's not as fresh, and it's not as warm here. I look around and head straight until I come to the edge of the forest, which is a lot higher up than I expected. But from here I have a perfect view. I can see all of Storybrooke from here, and I know which way to go. The clocktower chimes for twelve o'clock; an unfamiliar concept for me, time. I stay as close as I can to the edge of the forest so I can see the town, and soon the view disappears and I come to a long, black path that seems to go in the right direction. But first, I need to investigate. A red line stretches from one side of the woods to the other, right next to the sign that reads "Leaving Storybrooke" and the path disappears in the opposite direction. I walk alongside the red line and stop about halfway. There's something strange about it. I raise my hand and touch my palm to it, and I'm shocked by an electric wave. A cloaking spell. And one clearly formulated by Rumplestiltskin. It seems that there is only one way to go. I turn on my heel and walk.

- - -

The greeting I receive is...unpleasant. Needless to say, but Emma, Hook, the Queen and the rest of them were not expecting me to arrive anytime soon. It seems they're still worried about me turning Storybrooke in the 'New Neverland' but that's not even on my list of things to do anymore. I was strolling through, looking for someone out of the group to talk to so I could get their help, and then I spotted Emma and the Queen, and they spotted me, and well...

I'm currently pinned to a wall by magical vines thanks to the Queen's quick and powerful magical abilities.

"Look, I'm not here for me, I'm here for Davina!" I yell over the sound of the vines growing and spreading over my body.

"Why should we trust you? You almost got us all killed!" Emma shouts.

I go to answer but the vines begin to grow over my neck, "I...can't...answer...if...you...kill me," I choke out.

"Regina, let him go," Emma says.

"What? You really believe him?" the Queen replies in disbelief.