Taking An Unscheduled Detour

Start from the beginning

They set straight to work.  About twenty minutes later they were interrupted by a loud knock on the door.  Lana put the scarves she was holding into the box and went to open her door.  To her surprise Brennan, Sean, Will and Trevor were all standing in her hallway.

      “Alani called and said you needed help moving, so naturally she called the strongest person she knows.” Brennan said smugly. He stretch his arms flexing his muscles which left Lana feeling surprisingly flushed.  She quickly caught herself before she stared too long and rolled her eyes.  She opened the door wider to let them in.

      “Hey Lana, It’s good to see you again.” Sean said as he walked past her. His smile was contagious.

      “It’s good to see you again, as well.” She replied, smiling back at him. 

Will and Trevor said quick hellos as they passed.  She propped the door open and then directed the guys to her belongings.  Lana went back to emptying out her closet by herself since Karis left to flirt with Sean.  She sensed someone coming towards her and turned around as Brennan stopped about six inches from her.

      “I’m sorry to hear about your schooling.” Brennan said as he put a hand on her shoulder.  Lana confusingly looked at his hand and then looked back at him.  Well, this is new. She thought, Maybe Brennan is trying to be friends after all the years of being an ass.

“Um… it’s alright.” She said awkwardly, “Thank you for taking me to Alani’s last night. I guess I over did myself.”

Lana saw a flash of disappointment cross his eyes but in an instant it was gone.  He dropped his hand from her shoulder and stood awkwardly in front of her.  She doesn’t remember anything from last night. I should have saw that coming.” He thought.

      “No problem, we’re basically family right?” he said. What the bloody hell! Why did I just say that? He screamed internally.  She looked at him skeptically.

“I guess. Oddly enough the hangover wasn’t that bad.  I had a headache right when I woke up but that was about it.”

      “That’s probably because you threw up last night.” He teased, amusement replacing the awkwardness.

It took all Brennan had to hold in his laughter at the horrified look on Lana’s face.

      “Oh my God! I am so lame!” she exclaimed covering her face with her hands. He laughed while removing her hands.  He gave her a crooked smile that made her stomach do a flip.

      “Actually, you were extremely fun.”  She looked at him playfully.

      “I’m sorry, what did you just say?” 

He rolled his eyes at her then picked up a large box.

      “You know what I said.” He told her as he walked away. 

She followed him stopping at her open door as he continued down the hall.

      “I know but I want to hear you say it again so that my ‘I told you so’ really hits you hard.” She called out teasingly.

      “Yeah, yeah.” He replied sarcastically as he disappeared around the corner.

      “I showed him!” she said proudly as she walked back to the closet.

      “Ya sure did.” Karis taunted with a secret smile.

      “What are you going on about?” she questioned suspiciously.

      “We’ll talk later. Let’s just finish this up.”

      They worked diligently for three and a half hours but finally Lana was moved into the guest room and almost completely unpacked.  Trevor and Will left as soon as everything was loaded out of their vehicles but Sean, Brennan and Karis stayed to help her get situated.  Currently Karis was unpacking the books and stacking them neatly on the bookshelf.  Sean and Brennan were assembling her desk while she organized her clothes in her closet.  It was odd to her that Brennan had stuck around to help her. He was always so self-absorbed but today was different. He was helpful, friendly and genuine.  Alani probably threatened him to be nice.  She knows how upset I was and he has a knack for making me feel worse. That would explain why he was so awkward with me today. I like this friendly Brennan, I will take it as long as it lasts.

      “Lana!” a small excited voice broke her from her thoughts. 

She turned around, her face lighting up as she saw Brady running toward her.  She kneeled down with her arms open.

      “Brady! I was wondering when you were going to come see me.” She exclaimed as he rushed into her arms.  He gave her a huge hug then stepped back to look into her eyes.

      “Ma said we are going to be roommates.  I thought she was tricking me.” He told her laughing.

      “She wasn’t tricking you lil man.  I’m going to be living right down the hall from you.”  She told him ruffling his hair as she stood up.

      Brennan watched the exchange with a small smile on his face. How have I not noticed how close they are? She has joined us for every holiday but I can’t recall ever seeing them interact.  Probably because you paid more attention to the date you brought then your family. He answered himself internally.  He stood up and set his tools on the top of the desk.

      “Where is my love, Nephew?”  Brady turned around and smiled at him.  He walked over and gave him a hug.

      “Hey Uncle B.  I didn’t know you were here.”  Brennan looked at him incredulously.

      “Why does she get a better greeting? You practically ran her down giving her a hug and I get a limp noodle hug?” he playfully scolded him while poking him in the sides making him giggle.

      “It’s probably because I’m cooler than you.” Lana answered with a smirk.

      “And because she is prettier.” Brady added resulting in everyone laughing.

      “Looks like you taught him well, Brennan, going after the pretty ones.” Sean said coming up beside him, “In his defense, I would have given Lana a better greeting than you too.”

      “A man after my own heart.” He said to Brady.

      “Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Ma said to come down and eat.” He informed them then took off running out of the room.

      “Food!” Brennan and Sean yelled simultaneously.  They looked at each other for a split second then rushed through the door pushing and shoving each other out of the way.

      “Downright savages.” Karis sighed.

      “Go on,” Lana said, “You know you want to run down there too.”  Karis gave her a cheesy smile.

      “I love how you know me.” She said then bolted from the room.  Lana shook her head and snickered.  She followed after her friend at a calmer pace.  A warm feeling started to spread through her as she heard the noisy chatter coming from the dining room and smelled the aroma of a home cooked meal.  She walked into the dining room and sat at the vacant chair between Karis and Alani.  She started to fill her plate with the meaty lasagna and the fresh salad.  Across from her, Brady was already covered in red sauce talking animatedly with Brennan about his karate class.  She looked around the table at the people who occupied it and started to smile.  She has had such a happy life since moving to Ireland however in this moment she not only felt happy, she felt complete. 

I think everything is going to be alright. She thought.