Random Romance Scenes

“Grace?”

“Yes?”

“How many children do you hope to have?”

I turn my attention from the clouds above to stare at my best friend strangely. He’s never asked a question that has made me this uncomfortable before. Nevertheless, I answer.

“About twenty,” I say, exaggerating a little. “Why?”

Carter side-smiles in a silly, mischievous way, his blue eyes lighting up. “You’d have to start now. May I be of any assistance?”

“You’re disgusting, Carter,” I mutter under my breath, rolling over onto my stomach. I push myself up into a pushup position, but can’t stand. He has one arm around me, his hand planted firmly on the ground, preventing me from getting up any further.

“No, I’m being serious,” he says in a very serious tone, but I can tell he’s joking. At least I hope he is.

“No thanks,” I reply, desperately trying to get from under him. He’s too strong and refuses to release me.

“That’s a shame,” he says sadly, pushing my hair aside. It falls around my face and all I see is cascading auburn hair. His lips brush against the back of my neck, which is now exposed. “I’ve been told that my babies will be gorgeous.”

I gulp as the fleeting thoughts he places in my mind enter, trying to stay. I try hard to resist focusing on them.

My eyes closed, I say breathily, “Get off of me, Carter.” My heart pounds as I fear that at any moment, I might lose my resolve. I’ve always had a secret crush on him but have never allowed my imagination to venture there.

“I know they’ll be gorgeous…” he continues, ignoring me, “especially if I pair up with you.”

I’m suddenly flipped onto my back and pinned as he straddles me, his hands securing my arms to the ground as if the weight of his brawn isn’t enough to hold me down. The sun is in my eyes until he leans over me, his eyes betraying him... giving his thoughts away.

“I want you, Grace.”

“You have me as long as you get off.”

“No…” Carter says slowly. “As… more than just a best friend. That’s not enough for me anymore. And I know you want me, too.”

“I do not! Not like that. You’re delusional.”

Carter smiles in a way that makes me a little uneasy. “Don’t play innocent with me, Grace. I found your diary.”

My cheeks instantly grow hot and I avoid his eyes, which seem to be staring through to my soul. “That… That wasn’t mine!” I fib, though not very convincingly.

“Just admit it,” he says, sounding quite amused. “You think I’m, ‘A hottie with a body’ that you soon will not be able to resist. That was my favorite part.”

“Carter, please,” I say quietly, pleading with my eyes. “Please stop.”

“Just give me one day to prove that you wouldn’t regret being my girl.”

I close my eyes and sigh, hesitating before I answer, “You… You have one day.”

“That’s all I need,” he says softly, slowly bringing his face closer to mine. Once it is just a few inches away, he stops and stares intently into my eyes. He really does know.

“Carter, just–”

His lips stop the rest of my sentence from coming out, and butterflies instantly fill my belly. Immediate contractions occur and my heart picks up its pace. I can’t stop myself from uttering a moan as I try my best to return his fervent kisses. The contractions are so strong that they’re distracting me, and I shiver with pleasure.