Something More Dangerous than a Hurricane

Comincia dall'inizio

She was even more beautiful than he remembered. Her massive violet-blue eyes stared back at him, framed by those long, thick, sweeping black lashes, like fans. It had been dark when they last saw each other which could account for why she didn't recognise him, but he saw her before and after they had met on the beach. It was rude, and certainly unprofessional for an officer in the SBS and completely unfitting for an heir to a throne, but he could never help himself.

She was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. Eyes luminous like gems and the finest, most delicate features lush rosebud lips, dainty nose, elegant high cheekbones a long, graceful neck- the closest thing to a swan's neck that he'd seen. He'd seen many gorgeous supermodels, met princesses from all over the world, movie stars who were excited to meet him, but he had never seen someone like her. To be very frank, he was amazed that no modelling agency had snapped her up yet and made billions.

He tried to snap out of it, when he saw her blink and shake her own head discreetly. Oh, so she was affected by him, same as he was.

"My lady," he said courteously. Serena shook her head. "Serena, please. Titles aren't for anything but the most formal occasions."

Robert raised an eyebrow, but couldn't help but be impressed, although his mother would never have approved. But he was sure his father would have liked that about her. In fact, he had a feeling his father was going to adore her.

"In that case," he said slowly, never taking his eyes off her, "I suppose I should inform you that we have contacted your father, and he's sending some people to retrieve you."

A pang of sullen disappointment struck him, and he had to swallow this.

"Thank you, your royal highness-" "Robert." He interrupted. He had to curse himself inwardly for interrupting her like that. She blinked.

"Robert," she repeated slowly. And hearing her name, he felt his heart soar.

Getting dumb and dumber involved was the last thing I had ever wanted. I didn't want to mess up my plans to save everyone, but I also wanted to take this second chance- to live.

My last life had been as unremarkable as could be. Now I was living a dream for girls of all ages, born a princess in a fantastic underwater world, as a mermaid in the wealthiest realm, going from ordinary to being called the most beautiful princess in the mer realms. I had gone from a relatively middle-class background where palaces were something to be passed by in London, but safely secure behind golden gates and gilded walls, and was now living in the Silver Palace. That was built out of coral, quartz and mother-of-pearl. My clothes were stitched in jewels and I often wore jewellery so valuable that they required their own security detail. In my first life, when we went to Selfridges, although we could afford some things, we would never have brought anything unless they were on sale. My life didn't look like it was much. I didn't seem to be going anywhere. Now I walked on land and swam beneath the waves. I had adventure and I had more than I could have ever dreamed.

I was lucky. I was blessed. Sure, that came with a catch, being a princess and all, but here I was. I didn't have half the things I have now in my first life. Now I had that and something more: a second chance. Now I have this chance, I sure as hell won't waste it. And to save the world, I had a head start and I had better get cracking.

Problem was, there were a lot of risks. Namely, me being stupid enough to follow my feelings for this one.

And he didn't even know I was a mermaid.

"So you're safe?" He asked.

I sighed. Lying flat on my back with my tail tucked up, bent and pressed against my form, the bathtub didn't offer much, but a shower wouldn't have been able to do the trick. But my tail was longer than my legs in human form and even this tub was not meant for accommodating people lying flat down (duh).