Why Would You?

Shadow eyed the other hedgehog warily. He wasn't sure how Sonic would take being trapped in a small space, let alone with himself in said space as well. He had hoped that they would be able to escape quickly, but there were no visible weak spots in their glass-like prison. Of course, that didn't mean there weren't any...he just couldn't see them.

Shadow slowly got up, clutching his head. Like Sonic, he had a headache, though his was almost gone. He stood up, leaning against the side of their prison for support. There wasn't any door...not even a visible air vent.

The Ultimate Lifeform was confused as to just why the doctor would lock them in here. Wasn't his goal to kill them? Why would he trap them instead of doing so?

Not that Shadow had any problem with not being killed.

A loud laugh pierced his thoughts. "Hohohoho! I've finally gotten you rodents...like a mouse in a mousetrap! You took the bait!"

"What bait?" Asked Sonic, annoyance clear in his voice. "You were doing suspicious robot stuff! That's not bait!"

Shadow's eye twitched. "Sonic...you told me we were here for a Chaos Emerald."

"Well, I may have uh...just told you that to get you to help me." The blue hedgehog said warily, a lopsided grin on his face.

"You're telling me I'm trapped here...because you lied?"

Sonic winced. "Well when you put it that way, kinda sound bad..."

"It is bad!"

"Stop talking, you little pincushions! My ingenious plan is about to take place, and I don't need your stupid blabbering ruining the mood!" With that, a single beep sounded out, and a mechanical whirring started up.

Sonic and Shadow looked around, but the deactivated robots stayed off. The Blue Blur then turned his head towards the direction they had heard Eggman's voice come from.

"What's going on, Egghead? What fail of a plan are you trying out this time?" Yelled the blue hedgehog, his voice filled with confidence. "Whatever it is, it'll never work!"

The doctor's voice boomed over the speaker again. "I don't think you're in a position to say that stuff! In fact, you're not in a position to speak at all!" Eggman laughed yet again, and another beep could be heard.

"Prepare for your doom, my spiky little friends! Today is the day my rule begins, and nothing you do will stop me!"

The whirring sound came back, this time louder. This time though, the source of the noise could be seen. Rising out of a previously unseen hatch in the bottom of the cage, a metallic object pointed itself at Sonic.

"Hah, bullets? Is that all you could come up with? How origina--" Sonic was cut off mid sentence when the gun-like object shot something straight at him.

In the small space that the two were trapped in, it couldn't be avoided.

But to Sonic's relief, the object that it had shot out wasn't a bullet. Rather, it was a small syringe, embedded in his shoulder.

Shadow's eyes widened. "Sonic...?"

"Ow. Stupid thing...I hate shots." Said Sonic, yanking the small syringe out of his shoulder with a slight grimace.

"Doctor, what was in that syringe?" Shadow yelled, worry leaking in to his voice.

"Hohohoho! Just a brain control serum!"

The ebony hedgehog cursed. He didn't want to fight Sonic, and especially not in the small space they were in. He was confident that he could win a fight if it came to it, but not without severely injuring Sonic.

Speaking of Sonic, said hedgehog hadn't spoken since he had pulled out the syringe. Worriedly, Shadow turned back to him. Sonic wasn't looking at him. In fact, he wasn't really looking anywhere, a mindless blank stare that held no emotions.

This was cause for concern. "Sonic? Faker? Snap out of it!" said Shadow, his voice rising when he got no response. A gloved hand waved in front of emerald eyes but got no response.

Shadow backed up until his back was touching the glass-like wall.

"...Faker?"

This time he did get a response. The azure hero's head slowly turned and he stared directly at him. His usually bright eyes were dark with...well, Shadow couldn't quite pinpoint the emotion, but he knew it wasn't a good one.

Eggman laughed again, but the sound went by unnoticed.

For The Ultimate Lifeform was busy getting pinned to a wall, face to face with a hedgehog who's emotions could only be described as one thing:

Hunger.