Chapter Twenty-Eight: Life and Death

Mulai dari awal

"But Sir.. There's still one question that bothers me." 

"And that is?"

"Who put Harry's name on the Goblet of Fire? If it was Voldemort, how did he do it?"

They stared at each other before facing me and saying something that is plenty unbelievable "We did. We put his name on the Goblet."

"Wh-what?!" I exclaimed.

"We knew what the dark Lord was planning and we decided it was time to end it all. We knew you'd help him defeat Voldemort and it seems that we were right." Mrs. Potter said.

"Yes, that is true, Hermione. We are truly sorry for being a bother to you and such. But it was the only way we could think of. If we let him escape one more time, he would have grown stronger. See? Now he is defeated and gone. Forever."

That moment, I realized that they were right. He needed to be stopped as soon as possible and they did a noble thing to do. Risking the life of their son for the sake of humanity.. I smiled and said "You're right. Now I understand. And it's really okay with me. It is Harry who should live a good life. He's been almost hunted down every single day. He deserves to be happy."

"And he can only be happy with you." Mr. Potter smirked.

"James!" Mrs. Potter said, nudging his husband.

"What do you mean?" I asked honestly confused.

Mrs. Potter took a deep breath and told me. "Hermione, you’re of age. But I can't understand how you seem so naive about Harry's feelings for you."

"Now who's talking?" Mr. Potter chuckled.

"Please tell me directly, I cannot understand." I said.

She smiled and continued "Our son loves you Hermione. He really does. But we feel that you should be the one to decide who to choose. It's beyond our control."

"Harry loves me? Well of course as a sister and such. But really, loves me as in loves me more than that? Oh no.. no no.. That’s not possible" I said, unbelieving.

Once again, they gestured towards the well and I looked at it for the second time.

There was a scene during our first year. The time when I was locked inside a bathroom with a troll.

"Mate, we gotta save her!" Harry exclaimed.

"But why? She's an insufferable know-it-all. She isn't even our friend." Ron said, dismissively.

"Fine, if you don't want to, I will go and rescue her myself."

Then the scene dissolved and changed into another. This time it was on our second year. The time when I was petrified.

It showed Harry staying beside me. He was crying and holding my hands with his. I noticed that it might be late because there were stars outside the window.

"Hermione.. Don't worry. I'll find a way to get you back and I promise that I'll have revenge.. Please Hermione, don't go.."

The scene shifted once again and it showed Ron and Harry. I remember that it was when I've eavesdropped on them during their detention. 

"Come on mate, tell me..Is it Luna?? I won't get mad if it's Ginny.. I'd love to have you as an in-law. But is it Cho?? Hermione?? Who?? tell me!!!" Ron said, tugging Harry's arm. 

"Bloody Hell! Fine, It's Hermione! I like Hermione. Happy?" Harry exclaimed and walking away as far as he can.

Ron stood there frozen before catching up with him "Ha! I knew it!! You lover boy!! You do fancy our little friend here!"

Another shift and it was only a quick one.

Harry was standing outside Snape's office and I heard laughter. I realized it was me and Cedric during our detention. A sigh escaped from my friend's lips as he walked away, obviously crushed.

The next change was in the common room with Harry and Ron.

"You gotta make a move!" Ron exclaimed.

"But I told you, she likes Diggory! How can I match up with that?" Harry said, exasperated.

Ron brightened and said "Then you have to make her want you! Jealousy always works.."

"Jealousy? With whom will she be jealous? Ginny? Nah, they're like sisters! Cho? She knows I'm over Cho.. Who? It needs to be someone new.." Harry said, somewhat agreeing with the plan.

Suddenly, Neville came and said "Hey Ron. Luna's looking for you."

Mischief danced through Ron's eyes "Bingo!"

The next scene looked oddly familiar. It was Luna and Harry talking under the tree. It was the time when Luna asked to talk with Harry privately.

"So you wanna talk? About what?" Harry said, kicking a pebble.

"Erm.. I've thought about it long and hard. About your plan and Ron.. I can see how much you like Hermione so, even if it's somehow bad, but if you think this will work out.. Then I'm in." Luna said.

"Really?! Y-you'll pretend?" Harry asked, surprised.

"Yes.. But remember I'll just pretend. Because Harry.. I.." Luna started.. "I've always liked Cedric Diggory."

I was expecting for more but all I saw was my reflection. I backed away and approached the Potters.

"Seen your proof dear?" Mrs. Potter said.

"So he does fancy me... and he did try to ask me to the ball but.."

"But he made a promise to Diggory.." Mr. Potter finished.

"What do I do now?" I asked to no one in particular.

"Follow this." Mrs. Potter said pointing at my heart. "It will never fail you. In fact, it saved you from death. You, Harry and Cedric's love for each other defeated Voldemort. If there's power greater than him, it is love." 

"Hermione, as much as we want you to stay, you'll be running out of time. You gotta go back now." Mr. Potter said, urgently.

"Go where?" I asked.

"Back to Hogwarts. To make a decision I've made years ago. Something which I have no regrets. In choosing who to love. My best Friend.." Mrs. Potter said, stopping. "Or my first love." Then looking at her husband.

"Snape.." That was the last thing I muttered before they both smiled and waved at me.

"Tell Harry how much we love him! We'll be looking out for both of you. And may you make a decision which you won't regret too.. Goodbye dear." Mrs. Potter finished, beaming at me.

I feel myself fading. They waved at me and I did so too before finally, I was gone. Gone to make a choice between my first love, Cedric and my best friend who turned out to have been in love with me the whole time...