Prologe

The Deal

I've always been a closed off person, everybody knows this. I always just keep to myself and don't talk to anybody but my best friend Maisie.

I've been like this since I was just a small child. I've never had love in my life, so I don't believe in it. My Mum and Dad were both raised in the arms of rich snobby people so that's how they turned out, constantly showing off money and thinking only for themselves.

When my parents found out my Mum was pregnant with me, they weren't happy like most parents would be, they didn't hug it out and start to plan what the nursery would look like nor did they safety proof the house to make sure I would be safe. When they found out they were having a baby they were horrified. My mother thought about how it'll make her body look gross and how she wouldn't be able to be in billboards, marketing her company, with an 'ugly fat lump on her stomach'. Her words, not mine.

My Father was beyond pissed. He thought that having a baby would ruin his business and makes things run slower. He tried to convince my mum to get rid of me but she said 'if I go through all this pointless pain then might as well keep the damn thing'. Yup, that was her lovely motherly words. If you're wondering how I know all of this is because my grandad has always hated me as well, basically all my family do, and when my mother and father couldn't get their staff to look after me, my grandad had no choice but to look after me. And he hated nothing more than that, he spent the entire time telling me how much my parents hate me.

used to be super upset about that and from since I was a baby to the age of 14 I would cry myself to sleep every night because I hated the fact that I had no one but Maisie, who has been my best friend since birth, to be there for me. But, after I realised that I shouldn't waste my time on the pigs that are my parents, I soon became less upset about the face I had no family and just came to the conclusion that this is how it is and I just have to suck it up.

So now I don't trust anybody because anytime I've tried to trust anybody the break that trust and shove it in my face, I don't love anybody because nobody loved me back, and I don't open up to anyone because I can't trust them. So basically I rarely ever speak nor do I do any activities except for draw.

                And that is how Maisie got her amazing the idea about me sending anonymous letters to someone I don't know. I'm just so exited. Note to sarcasm. So this is what happened.

                After school me and Maisie decided to go to the coffee shop next to the school then go back to my house, more like mansion, and hang out there.

                "You know, you should get a boyfriend." Was what Maisie said to me whilst staring at the roof as if it would give her the answers to life.

               "I'm gonna get you one!" Maisie exclaimed, sitting up to look at me.

                "No thanks Maisie, you know I'm not good with other people." I tried to reason with her but knowing Maisie, she wasn't going to give up.

          "Please Sapphire! You can't live your whole life a virgin!" I just laughed at her excuse as to why I should get a boyfriend and carried on sketching on my notebook.

"Okay, how about this," Maisie said after a few minutes of thinking. "I'll pick somebody and you have to write letters to them. I know that you're way of expressing yourself is through Art but just listen to my idea. So I'll pick a person and you'll send letters to them saying whatever you want, but this person is anonymous so when you send letters to them, they won't know who you are, and when they send letters back, they'll also be anonymous. And only I will know who the other person is, okay?"

I was about to disagree with this idea but then a thought crossed my mind.

The only person that listens to me is Maisie, she's always there for me and she seems like she really wants me to do this so I guess I'll do this for her.

"Fine, I'll do it." Maisie squealed then pulled me into a hug.

"Ooh this is gonna be great! Oh and another thing, we can't talk about this anywhere that there's more than just you and me in the room okay? So only me, you, and the anonymous person will know about this. I'll tell them the same thing."

Ugh, what did I get myself into.