X-factor

Heavy panting is heard.

"This... -pant, pant- HAS to be it! These 17 years of studying can't possibly go to waste!"

Dr. Mason ejects a strange, blackish-brown liquid from a large machine.

"Erin! You're my last pupil. Are you ready?"

Erin builds up courage and nods weakly.

"Y-yes, Dr. Mason."

"Good. Now, extend your arm for me."

Erin does so, trembling a bit.

Dr. Mason notices this and glares at Erin.

"Do you doubt me, Erin? The man that took you in from the streets, fed you and raised you as his own?!"

Erin shakes her head.

"N-no, it's the anemia, daddy- I-I mean, Dr. Mason!"

Erin cringes getting ready to be hit.

Dr. Mason raises his hand but stops and pats Erin on the head.

"Yes. I am your daddy and always will be. With this shot, we'll cure you of that dreaded disease."

Erin relaxes her muscles and faces Dr. Mason.

"R-really?" Erin smiles brightly back at Dr. Mason.

"Yes. I raised you after all..."

"T-thank you, dadd--"

Dr. Mason stabs Erin's arm as she screams in agony on the floor, her veins practically bulging out of her skin as the drug flows into her bloodstream.

“Pipe down and bear through it, dear. This could be our big breakthrough!”

Erin clenches  her fist, gulps and tolerates the pain as much as she can, letting out a few whimpers here and there.

After the drug is completely in Erin’s system, Dr. Mason helps her up, sits her on his work bench and gives her several tests.

He notices a change in her almost immediately.

Her face is full of color again and she isn't trembling from weakness anymore.

Dr. Mason performs the usual eye exam people do every year to keep up with their eye sight, but keeps moving Erin one foot farther every time she gets a row of letters right.

“Well, you’ve mastered the eye exam. Your eye sight has improved 10 fold. This is good feedback for the first test. Now, I have a little puzzle for you. You may be familiar with it. It’s called “Where’s Waldo.”

Erin jumps up in amusement.

“I know this! I used to play it when I was a kid!”

“Good then. I’ll time you to see how fast you can find him.”

“Alright!”

Erin smiles brightly as she is passed several pieces of cardboard with colorful print.

“Found him!”

Dr. Mason looks at Erin skeptically.

“Where? Point to him.”

Erin points behind a red and white striped umbrella.

“There.” Erin smiles.

“Good, good.” Dr. Mason writes on his clipboard.

After going through all the pieces of cardboard, Dr. Mason is satisfied.

“You seem to be doing well with these tests.”