Chapter Three

Começar do início

"I'm quite aware of what people call me." I walked a few feet down the aisle, now searching for canned soup. She followed, again, to my dismay.

"But if you don't do homework, how will you get into university? You're wasting your genius!"

I stuck my tongue into the side of my mouth. "University is unnecessary."

I didn't need to look at her face to know that pasted upon it was a look of utter confusion. "But Sherlock, you need university to get a job."

After sighing and adding a few cans to my basket, I finally looked at Molly. "No, you need university to get a job."

She set her hands on her hips and stared me down (this, however, wasn't very effective, as I was a good nine inches taller than she). There was an aggressive glint in her eye. "What job do you plan to take, then? Without university?"

"Consulting detective." I turned and walked away.

Again, she followed. How many hints did she need? "But... That isn't a real job."

"Not yet," I muttered.

She tightened her ponytail. "Well, I plan to be a forensic pathologist."

I looked up from the detergent I was inspecting, feigning bewilderment. "That's funny, I don't recall asking you."

Molly looked puzzled for a moment before finally realizing that her company was unwanted. "Well, Sherlock, I, uh... I better go. See you Monday?"

I gave no response, suddenly appearing to be completely captivated by the detergent label. I kept my eyes glued to the container until I heard the ring of the door that confirmed Molly's departure. With a content sigh, I wrapped up my shopping and headed to the register.

The lonely, cat-loving cashier began to scan my items. She had a slouch that would imply sadness, but she smiled at me throughout the scanning process. "So, you know that girl?"

"No, actually. One of my favorite pastimes is befriending horribly annoying people in cluttered grocery stores," I snapped sarcastically.

"Horribly annoying?"

I could hardly bear her stupidity. "Obviously. Some people should seriously consider throwing themselves off a building."

She raised her eyebrows in surprise, smile quickly fading from her face, and finished scanning silently, speaking only to tell me the total. I quickly paid and left the store in an angry rush. How dare that cashier eavesdrop! What a terribly impolite thing to do!

I steamed unreasonably all the way home, and dropped the groceries on the kitchen counter for someone else to put away. I stomped up the stairs. "MYCROFT!"

He stepped calmly out of his bedroom, shutting the door firmly behind him. "William, you are rather noisy. If you're capable of it, please, at least attempt to act your age."

"I need John's number."

Mycroft smirked. "That's funny; it almost sounds as though you're asking a favor."

I sighed. "Alright, what do you want?"

He smiled. "Remove the tongues from the freezer. I'm fairly certain they're illegal."

"But those are for-"

My older brother raised an eyebrow. "I thought you wanted John's phone number?"

I groaned, but hurried downstairs to throw out the severed tongues. John's number was much more important than having one more experiment on the waiting list. When I came back upstairs, Mycroft had a small strip of paper in his hand, which he gave to me.