"Stop being so damn stubborn." He moved, grabbing a fistful of her hair, making her met his gaze, eyes flashing scarlet. Her eyes widened at the sweet sensations that spread through her body, stronger than ever before.

Fane leaned closer, their temples touching before he pulled away and made distance between them. She was stunned to feel cold, wanting him close, craving his touch. She bit her lip as she tilted her head back on the wall. "Is this normal?"

"During the first hours everything is enhanced. Soon, you will be able to control it better."

"And this will last for a week?" She asked.

Fane simply nodded.

A silence hung in the air as they held each other's gaze for the longest. "Do I really have to repeat myself? I will never feed from you."

His gaze averted and seemed to want to say something but decided not to. He left the room, slamming the door shut.

As minutes turned into hours, the pain within intensified, sometimes leaving her bed bound. The first two days, whenever she tried to sleep, she would wake up over and over, writhing in agony.

Perhaps everyone expected her to break, but she hadn't. Her body ached to the point of agony, as if she had been struck by a truck. Every time she moved, her bones felt like they were shattering.

Still, every time Fane came to check on her,  she refused to feed.

When she trailed her fingers over her mark, she fluttered her eyes closed, sensing Fane on the other side before he completely blocked her.

At the door opening, she narrowed her eyes noting the fragrance that hit her nostril wasn't the one of her beloved.

"Wow—you look like shit."

She sat up and chuckled when Denarus did. "Why thank you."

He hesitated for a moment before taking a seat on the foot of the bed. "You should feed."

She shook her head. "I'm afraid."

"I know." He reached for her hand but stopped himself.

Her eyes narrowed. "Is everything okay?"

He met her gaze then. "Why did you break it off?"

Now, she looked at anything but him. "It doesn't matter." She grabbed his hand. "What are you not telling me?"

When the door opened, Denarus let go of her hand and stood. Belinda was stunned when Fane glared at Denarus, which he returned, eyes flashing scarlet.

Zaeley walked into the room with Grayson in her arms, followed by Zeref with Bexley. With a smile, Belinda grabbed her babies and held them close.

"Your children need you."

Belinda fought back tears but before she could speak, Denarus did. "Are you not going to tell her about Alaric?"

When no one said nothing, she asked, "Where are Alaric and Elif?"

"We were attacked at the river," Fane said, not meeting her gaze. "Alaric intercepted a blade meant for Elif...it had a spell cast upon it so when Eif removed it, it infected her, killing their child."

Belinda didn't move, didn't say a word as she stared into the distance, her heart slowly breaking. She couldn't imagine the pain they had to be in. When she glanced at her children in her arms, tears slid down her warm cheeks against her will.

Denarus moved but Fane grabbed him by the arm and shoved him back, his back hitting the wall. Zeref held Fane back.

"Both of you need to calm down."