On Bended Knee

As the soft sounds of Norah Jones played in the background, you spritzed your favourite Betsey Johnson perfume and fluffed your dress in the mirror. Today was your third anniversary dinner, with your boyfriend, Of Mice & Men's Austin Carlile. He had been out with the band making appearances at various Hot Topic's, radio stations and music stores, to celebrate the release of the band's latest album, Restoring Force. He had one last appearance to make today, but he had assured you that he would meet you at the restaurant. After one last hair and makeup check, you grabbed the Coach wristlet that Austin had given you for Christmas, and your phone, then called for the car service that you had used before.

You arrived at the restaurant a few minutes early, and waited until your table was ready. Every minute that Austin was not there, was every minute you spent wondering if the appearance had gone overtime, or if he had just forgotten. It can't be the latter, you assured yourself, as you decided to order a drink and call Austin to see where he was. You frowned when his phone, along with the phones of his bandmates, and everyone you knew who would be with the band, went straight to voicemail or unanswered. An hour went by, and Austin still hadn't shown up, and you were unsure if you should be hurt, mad, or both. Knowing that the restaurant had Austin's information on file, as you dined there frequently, you decided to have a nice, expensive dinner on Austin's dime. Holding your head up high, you left the restaurant, then called the car service to take you home.

"Did you have a nice dinner miss?"

"It would have been better had the mister shown up. Some anniversary huh?"

"I'm so sorry miss. That does not sound like him at all. Do you want me to take you anywhere? A strip club perhaps?"

For the first time since you reached and left the restaurant, a smile graced your face and you laughed.

"No, it's alright. I would rather just go home. I have a tub of red velvet ice cream with my name on it. Thank you for the offer though."

Once the driver reached your house, you tipped him extra, and let him help you out of the car. Expecting the house to be dark and quiet, you started to see red when you saw the lights on, and heard music coming from inside. Slipping out of your heels, you held them in your hand, and opened the door with the other.

"Baby, I can explain."

Austin said, as soon as you closed the door.

"Sure you can."

You spat back, as you tried to push past Austin.

"Baby please."

Austin grabbed your arm, but let go just as quickly.

"Just save it Austin."

You told him, as tears clouded your eyes. Turning away from him, you ran up the stairs and slammed the door to your bedroom, and locked it so Austin couldn't get in. You wiped the rapidly falling tears from your eyes, as Austin set up camp on the other side of the door and desperately tried to get you to open it. After you stepped out of your dress, and took the bobby pins out of your hair, you headed into the shower, to wash up and try to wash away the tears. When you eventually left the shower, you checked your phone, only to see about forty text messages from Austin begging you to let him in and explain. Instead, you turned the phone off and decided to enjoy the nighty and thong set that you had bought for that night, all by your lonesome.

After quite a bit of tossing and turning, and five episodes of Jersey Shore, you finally managed to drift off to sleep. It was three thirty am, when you found yourself wide awake and alone. You reached for your phone, and turned it back on. The look on your face fell, as all the messages that Austin had sent you after you turned your phone off had started to come in. It wasn't long before you lost count of the number of messages he had left you, via text and voicemail. And it also wasn't long, before you found yourself pushing back the blanket and deciding to head downstairs. You opened the door and gasped, when you saw a rose petals that had been laid out on the floor, in the shape of a heart and the words "I'm sorry. Please forgive me."