The faerie caught it without much effort. "Such a unique human you are! It is no surprise that you were chosen to be Fane's beloved." Her sinister laugh echoed through the forest. "You're blood must be exquisite! Wonder how much it's worth." The girl's smile vanished as she tilted her head a bit,  pursing her lips. "Too bad you have to die."

Blake stood in front of Belinda. "I won't let you hurt her."

The fae's eyes were filled with curiosity. "Oh...this is a surprise." She smiled again. "But don't worry! We won't even have to lift a finger to end her existence."

Belinda screamed as pain engulfed her before her legs became to weak. She dropped to her knees, bending over just as she coughed. Black liquid splattered all over the grass beneath her.

"Let us through!" Blake shouted.

At sounds of bones snapping, Belinda forced herself to raise her head in time to see her friend drop to all fours and snarl like an animal. Her eyes widened as within seconds, he had shifted into a wolf.

She must have lost her mind and began hallucinating.

He snarled and growled before launching himself at the Fae. Belinda forced herself to stand, ignoring how her legs quivered irrepressibly. When the Fae conjured up a sword that seemed to be carved out of wood with flames flowing through it, Belinda sprinted as fast as she could toward Blake.

As the sword came down, Belinda raised her hand, on which she wore the bracelet her mother had gifted her and the necklace that her mother had made into a bracelet.

The fae had said the necklace didn't affect her, but Belinda truly hoped she had been lying.

The sword struck an invisible wall before shattering into a million pieces. Flames conjured up all around her as the Fae went flying in the opposite direction before slamming against one of many trees.

Belinda let out a scream of agony, the pain within intensifying. The men that surrounded them attempted to escape. Of course, they didn't get far. Red and orange flames enveloped them, devouring their bodies within seconds, leaving no trace of their existence.

Then, everything around her began to sway, but before she collapsed to the ground, Blake caught her and picked her up bridal style.

Within seconds, he moved through the forest not once having an issue seeing through the night. "That was brave, but please don't ever do it again."

"You were getting your ass kicked. I had to help you."

"I wasn't getting my ass kicked."

She managed a small laugh, which he returned. Something crashed against them, sending both rolling down a hill. Blake managed to take her hand just as they went over the brink of a cliff.

Her body slammed against the rocky side of the cliff. Heart about to explode, she glanced down, suddenly feeling nauseous. "Blake—"

At his groan, she  raised her gaze to find the Fae standing on the edge of the cliff, smiling down at them. "What a predicament. You are too weak to hold on for too long, Alpha." Her smile grew from ear to ear. "Let her go... save yourself. You know not even you can survive such fall."