Fane touched the necklace that hung from his neck. "A gift of sunlight from a friend. Of course, without it, I would burst into flames."

"So, what are you here for?"

Fane seemed to hesitate. "I am inviting your daughter out. My mother says it is something normal amongst humans."

"She has not been feeling good."

His eyebrows knitted together as his eyes swirled into a pool of darkness, a contrast to his features that really stood out. "You should know better than to lie to me."

"Give her time."

"She would have had all eternity if she would have given me a chance. She chose to reject me and sign a contract. Now, she must deal with the consequences of her actions." He paused for a moment as his eyes turned back to their normal color. "I will not ask again."

Before her mother could speak, Belinda did. "I'll be back soon."

"Belinda—"

She hugged her mother. "I'll be fine."

With her hands in the pockets of her shorts, Belinda followed Fane. When she glanced over her shoulder at her home, she tried to smile at her mother who didn't move from the front entrance. Belinda attempted to relax, but right now, the melodies that filled the forest did nothing to calm her insane heartbeat.

As she followed him deeper into the forest, she could not stop thinking of what he might have in mind. She was far from ready to give him the children he desired. How could she when she had never been with anyone? She hadn't even had her first kiss.

Her father managed to scare away any boy interested in her.

When he came to a stop, she did as well and took in her breathtaking surroundings. This was not the river she always visited with her friends. The water was so translucent she could see the different colored fish in it and the plants. The sunlight reflected on it, making it sparkle like a diamond. She smiled as she inhaled the fragrance of the small flowers around her that moved with the breeze.

As she turned, she tried to hide the smile but failed. "Are you trying to win me over?"

"Is it working?"

She wrapped her arms around herself when the breeze picked up force. "Maybe."

"Why are you not wearing the necklace?"

Automatically, her hand went to her neck. "Sorry, I forgot. I'm not used to wearing jewelry."

He took a step forward and her heart picked up pace. "Don't forget again." She nodded and turned her face away when he inched closer. "Look at me."

She did, but when he lowered his face to hers, she stepped back and shook her head. "You really think this would get me to give you what you want?"

"It is no different from what you humans call a one night stand."

Her eyes narrowed into pin points. "Well, I have never had a one night stand—Heck, I haven't been with anyone so the least you could do is give me a little time to get used to the idea of sleeping with someone I don't know." Well, she said more than she wanted to, but too late now.

"You're a virgin?"

She wanted to smack the grin off his face. "Yes, and I'm certain you are not."

"Why? Because I am a man?"

"Because you are a vampire and probably really old—"

His eyebrows knitted together. "I'm only eighteen."