Cassie looked at him and smiled. 'I am looking forward to seeing the caves,' she said, with excitement, 'do the tunnels still lead to the house?'

'No,' Damien replied, 'the tunnels were blocked some years ago by my grandfather. He didn't want the locals using the tunnels again for smuggling.'

Cassie sat next to Damien in the gig, looking at the scenery, that seemed to be flying past them. It was the first time since she had arrived at Abbotgate House, that she had ventured outside the gates of the estate. As the journey progressed, she was becoming a little uneasy. She was growing increasingly afraid that she would be seen by one of Damien's neighbours. Damien, sensing her discomposure, said to her, 'come, Cassie, take my arm.' He then lifted his arm as an invitation for her to rest her hand on his wrist.

'Do you think that is wise?' Cassie said looking at him seriously, 'what if we meet someone you know? I don't want to be the cause of any embarrassment to you. I know that if any of your neighbours see me, they will start to gossip about you.'

'I'm not ashamed of you, Cass,' he said gravely, 'and I will never be ashamed to be seen with you.'

'But, Damien,' she said, looking at him gravely, 'I am an unmarried woman, with a dubious reputation, I can only do your standing in the community harm.'

Damien pulled gently on the reins and brought the gig to a standstill. He took her hands in his and kissed her gently on the lips. 'I refused to be ashamed of you, and I will not have you hidden away from the world at Abbotgate House. Look, Cass,' he said touching her cheek, 'I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for you. If you had not nursed me back to health, I would have died in the weeks after Waterloo. I owe you my life.'

Damien took her arm and placed it on his, picked up the reins and flicked them gently by the side of the horse.

Cassie leant her head against his shoulder and began to relax. It was now the end of April, and it was a glorious spring day. The sun was shining, and the countryside was alive with the sound of birdsong. As they travelled down the narrow lane in the gig, the smell of spring flowers and cut grass hung heavily in the air. The fruit trees in the orchard were laden with blossoms, and the spring flowers that had made their welcome appearance over the past week covered the ground with a riot of colour.

Cassie was wearing a new spig muslin dress that she had bought in Brussels last year. The dress had small blue flowers, just like forget-me-nots, printed on the material that made up the skirt. The smart blue pelisse that she wore matched the shade of the flowers, and on her head, she wore a clipped straw bonnet that she had tied around her chin with a blue ribbon. It was the first time that she could remember, that she had worn such a pretty outfit.

After ten minutes, Cassie, who was almost asleep, was awoken by the gig slowing down and then coming to a standstill. As she lifted her head from Damien's shoulder, she could feel the muscles in his arm stiffen.

'Good morning, Laws,' Cassie heard a smartly dressed man, who was sitting on a large, sleek black horse, say to Damien, 'What a lovely morning to go for a drive.'

Damien did not reply, he just scowled at the man.

'Are you going to introduce me to your beautiful companion?' the man said as he got down from his horse and then walked over to the gig. 'My name's Delaney,' he said with a bow as he took Cassie's hand and brought it to his lips, 'and you, my dear, are very lovely.'

'I think you should go, Delaney,' Damien growled, 'the lady does not want to be subjected to your gallantries.'

Delaney, who had been looking at Cassie, then turned to face Damien. 'Do not be touchy with me, Laws,' he said, 'I was only introducing myself to your... lady friend.' There was a suggestive tone to his voice that Cassie found disquieting. 'There is something familiar about your face, my dear,' he then said, as he continued to stare at her. 'Have we met before? I never forget a face, especially one as pretty as yours.'