Secrets Unfold

Prologue

Arabella’s P.O.V.

Creak, creak, and CREAK! I heard from my bedroom. All the lights were turned off and I was snuggled up in my bed reading a book like usual. I heard the creaking of footsteps going down the stairs, but I just ignored them. I figured it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I was completely alone. Just when I was about to doze off I heard another creak and someone calling my name. Then I knew for sure someone was in the house with me. I slowly got out of bed and quietly ran for the bat my family kept in the spare closet at the end of the hall. Once I had it I headed towards the living room where I last heard my name. I was just at the door frame when suddenly a figure turned away from the window. I could barely make out its face, but I could tell it was a woman. I was ready to attack, but something in my head forced me to discard my weapon. The woman watched my every move. I cautiously placed it on top of the sofa to my right. It was not too far away, so if chaos broke out I could easily grab it and pound the woman as hard as I could. When I focused on her again a rush of familiarity hits me. I’m not scared anymore, but as I walked closer to her she started screaming.

“The Callahan secret! You’ll awaken it from its slumber.” She screamed.

“What Callahan secret?! What are you talking about?! I screamed back at her. I no longer felt calm, I felt angry. I’m a Callahan and there was no way she was telling the true. She must be a lunatic.

“You’ll awaken it from its slumber!” she repeated.

“Awaken what? Who are you?! I was so confused. I just wanted to know who she was and why I felt so connected to her.

“Beware the secret. If you don’t you shall die!” My body goes rigid. I tell myself that’s not true but something inside of me just clicks and I know I’m going to die. I’m in front of her and as I raise my hand to her she vanishes with a look of pity in her eyes.

(End of dream)

 That’s all I remember as I woke up the following morning tangled up in sheets on the floor. I was shaking so hard and all the hairs on the back of my neck were standing straight up. I’ve been having this dream since the day my sisters and I found out that our parents were dead. Each time it gets more vivid and real like, however, I never realize who the woman is. And every time I reach forward to see her face the dream ends and I wake up on the floor. It’s so frustrating because it NEVER makes any sense.

What does she mean by the Callahan secret? And what was sleeping that could be awakened? I thought to myself as I forget that I’m sprawled down on the floor with no good reason as to why, if someone comes up and sees me. And just when I gave up on figuring out this puzzle my wonderful aunt stepped into my room.

“Arabella what in the world are you doing on the ground? You’re not a dog! Get up and go wake up your sisters! You’re going to be late for school.”

“Yes ma’am, I’ll get right on it.” I replied as I peeled myself off the floor.

“Good, because if you girls miss the bus you’ll be walking to school. I’ve taken you into my care for so long. You should know by now how to wake up on time.” And with that she slammed my door shut without another mean word towards how my sisters and I act.

Ugghhh I better get moving or she’ll definitely won’t drive us anywhere. Why does she have to be so vile? She’s nothing like my mother. I started twirling the crescent moon pendant I had around my neck. NO don’t think about Mom. DON’T. I stopped myself right there and started getting dressed. It’s the first day of my sophomore year and I’m not one bit excited. It’s just another year where everyone completely ignores me. You can say I’m kind of like the school’s loner, but more social in a way. After my parents died I spaced myself away from everyone, including my sisters. But after awhile I got better and started hanging out with them, my closest friends, and regained my personality. I put on my dark blue, jean shorts with black converse and a blue, blowy top that has two pockets in the front. I brushed my dark brown, highlighted caramel hair and fixed my bangs. Then I ran out of my room and into my younger sister’s room. Her name’s Jayden, but I call her Jay. She was curled up in a tight ball in the middle of her bed. I shook her shoulder.

“Come on Jay, time to wake up!” I said while trying to detangle the human knot in front of me.

“5 more minutes.” She mumbles.

“I don’t think so, little missy. Get up right now unless you want to walk 3 miles.” She continues on sleeping.

Now what do I do? Ara think think think. THAT’S IT! I jumped on top of Jay and started tickling her.

“Ahhhhh ARA!!!!! STOP!!” Jay screamed as she tried to protect herself from me, but she doesn’t have a chance.

“I’ll stop if you get ready for school! Tickle tickle!!! Ha-ha” I laughed enjoying her squeals.

“Alright….I’ll get ready!! Now stop tickling mee!” She tries to squirm out of my grasp, but I dont let her get away.

“What’s the magic word?” I said hoping she wouldn’t give in. It’s so great to not be serious!

“PLEASE!!!!!” she screamed at the top of the lungs, opening her light blue eyes so wide. I automatically muffled her scream by covering her mouth.

“Are you crazy? If Aunt Macy hears you she’s going to kill us! You know how she hates loud noises.” I reminded her.

“Right, sorry.” She whispered.

“It’s ok, but really get dressed because I wasn’t lying when I asked if you wanted to walk 3 miles.” I got up from her bed and went to the room next door. When I walked in I saw a girl with dark brown hair laying on her side looking completely peaceful. I moved forward and as I passed the clock on the wall I realized how late we were. I bolted to her bed and shook her brains out.

“Maddy you got to wake up! We’re so late, we’re going to run 3 miles to get to school!!!”

“WHAT?!!!” Why didn’t you wake me up sooner?!!” Her honey brown eyes flew open and she jumped out of bed. Grabbed the pair of clothes she had already prepared on the chest in front of her bed.

“You really are the one who paid attention to the how-to-be-a-lady lessons Aunt Macy gave us.” Amazed at how she had everything nice and clean in her room.

   “Well, I guess so. You didn’t answer my question, Ara.” She said as she tied her converse.

“I woke up late… and then I-“

“Ugghh sometimes you are so irresponsible. You’ve taken the same classes as I have to be a lady and yet you can’t even do a simple task.”

“Are you blaming me? You’re the oldest and you didn’t wake up on time either!” I was totally annoyed, aside from my dream, now I have to deal with this.

“Whoa, there’s no need for shouting. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? And I’m older only by a few minutes!”

“You know what Madison why don’t you wake yourself up from now on. I’ll see you downstairs, we’ve already missed the bus.”

I turned out of the room and found Jay listening in on our conversation. I pushed her to the side, making sure Maddy didn’t see her, and closed the door. She was about to say something, but I just shook my head. I grabbed her hand that’s way bigger than mine, but it’s more comforting that way. I’m Arabella Callahan and this is how my life turned upside down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! I know this is short and I'm sorry but the rest won't be! Please comment and stay tuned!😃