But then again, her worst nightmare was also happening on the very same day.

As in, the results of Southeastern Verman College!

And she was more than sure that the day was going to engulf her in a vortex of disappointment, once again.

So, one part of her somewhat always wanted her 18th birthday never to arrive.

Never could she imagine in her dreams, that life could be this paradox contradictory.

But..

''Never mind!''

She dodged the thought even before it could even fully make its essence felt in her conscience mind. Because she knew if she let it, her day would be diminished into a quagmire full of despair.

She didn't know exactly what was it that seemed so invariably confusing since the past few days, but she felt like as every day came and went, she was nearing something. Something that was beyond her understanding, something that was barely visible, barely tangible, but had a magnitude to spin her off guard. Something that looked every bit of normal but its reality reflected like a rip current in the ocean that could pull you to the deepest depths of the blue, without a forewarning.

Everyday was every bit of normal, yet every day made her feel like there lay something that she was yet to discover, there was a lot more to what met the eye.

.

"Don't worry Khushi, next month you would get your driver's license, and you can drive the car all by yourself."

Adrienne said, breaking the silence during the drive., and also breaking Khushi's reverie.

Khushi only nodded, just to show she was listening.

"What's bothering you dear?"

The problem with Adrienne was that she was exceptionally sweet. That too at the wrong hours.

Hours, where Khushi would want her to be tough, to be the typical mother. But she would totally be the opposite.

"Nothing. Just worried about the admissions."

She answered, surprised at the sound of her own voice.

'How could I sound so theatrical?'

She thought to herself.

"Oh! Why do you worry so much dear? I'm sure you're going to make it."

This was it.

Khushi was already suffering with the consequences of that bad entrance test. The last thing she needed was the high-expectation and unshakable trust of her mother that her daughter would always succeed no matter what.

She let out a deep sigh and finally said, "Look mom, things aren't that easy the way they seem to be. I think no one can be a bigger fool than me. I messed it up. Totally. Even the things, I thought I knew, everything!Completely. I won't make it. Southeastern Verman isn't going to be my destination."

.

.

"Khushi Elise Vermount!"

Khushi hated it.

Whenever anyone addressed her with her full name. For it seemed like someone was charging her against some sin.

And well, her mom just did that.

She sometimes wondered how could she end up having an Indian name when her entire life of 17 years 11 months was spent in America?

Well, it was her mother again. On her visit to India during long back, she had met a little girl named Khushi, and she instantly liked the name, which meant "happiness" in English.