01: Skype

01: Good To See You

Joan Kaplan stood just outside of security at SEA-TAC airport examining her daughter carefully. She seemed so young and still so vulnerable to her. But at 27 Davis Kaplan was a confident woman and a shining star in the field of Speech Pathology. Joan sighed, she knew that a mother's perspective rarely changes.

Driven at a young age Davis accelerated swiftly through the Phd. program at University of Washington. She worked in a post-doctoral position continuing research she began as a student. Two months ago she accepted a faculty position at Tulane University Medical School in the Anxiety Disorders Program and Clinic.

Davis was one of the youngest faculty to enter Tulane's prestigious program. The position would require moving almost 3000 miles away into an unfamiliar world. But, Davie was determined and confident that the research and teaching she would be involved with would yield important breakthroughs in her field of study.

"Sweetie, you'll call us as soon as you reach your hotel right?" Concern and anxiety rang in Richard Kaplan's voice. "Your mom and I are both working until 7:00 at the club, but then we'll head straight home so we can chat."

Davie smiled and nodded, her eyes softened and she sighed,"Of course Dad. Don't worry."

Joan moved in wrapping herself around her daughter, halting her movements. She stood holding on until both their bodies stilled and she felt her daughter melt gently into her. "We love you Davie. We're so proud of you. Be safe, we'll come visit next semester."
----

The 5-hour direct flight from Seattle to New Orleans was a relatively easy trip but also the longest flight Davie had ever been on. She wasn't exceptionally well traveled, most of her trips were conference related and limited to the west coast and Chicago. She noticed an immediate difference in the temperature and humidity on the jetway as she moved from the plane into the airport.

Another passenger moving along the jetway glanced over and grimaced. "Wow! No matter what you do to mentally prepare for New Orleans in August it's like a complete slap in the face, right?"

Davie smiled and shrugged, sweat already rolling over her body. The stranger waited expectantly for an extension in the conversation but Davie shifted her attention away and continued to move.
----

Carter Hoy waited nervously for Dr. Kaplan. He had video-chatted with her and exchanged information last week to get the flight details but, he was just recently confirmed for the job and he was a little anxious. The woman was only a few years older than him. He was a current masters student at Tulane and contracted through the university to act as Dr. Kaplan's personal liaison for the academic year.

Davie looked up and saw a familiar, good looking young African-American man smiling and waving her down. Online Davie didn't see anything more than Carter's upper body. Now she could see he was over 6' tall, medium to athletic build, dark skin, close cut hair, and a beautiful smile.

Carter moved to her,"Dr. Kaplan! Was the flight okay?" Carter's eyes widened slightly as he moved closer. Dr. Kaplan stood about 5'8". She was beautiful with fair skin and very blonde hair broken by occasional ribbons of slightly richer yellows and golds. Her soft light brown eyes were layered and thoughtful. Carter smiled thinking,"Wow, beautiful."

Davie grinned and nodded. She stepped to Carter, her hands moving fluidly as she closed the distance, "It's so good to meet you in person!" Davie hugged the young man and kissed him lightly on the cheek in greeting.

Carter laughed, his voice light and relieved. "You too Dr. Kaplan! If you can make it through the first couple months of humidity, you're going to love it here!"