Chapter 19: A Rose is A Rose is A Rose

Start from the beginning

            “Thank you,” Hermione replied politely, before turning around to meet Draco. She began walking towards Draco but slowed down when she saw Astoria somehow materialize next to him (no magic involved, Hermione just didn’t realize that Astoria was there). But what happened next made her stop in shock and she felt as if the wind was knocked out of her. Draco and Astoria, who had been talking until now, were locked in lip lock in the middle of the lobby.

            As they broke apart, Draco’s eyes immediately met Hermione’s and a pained look appeared in them. Hermione immediately began walking rapidly toward the exit.

            Draco roughly pushed Astoria aside with a disgusted look on his face and began following Hermione.

            “Hermione!” he called out as he ran after her.

            Hermione effectively ignored Draco and marched towards the exit. She was out the door, into the path of the falling snow and about to disapparate when Draco’s hand caught her wrist.

            “Hermione, listen to me. That was not what it looked like. Ple--,”

            “Let go of my hand,” Hermione commanded in an eerily calm voice. “I don’t care about what happened back there and frankly, I don’t want to know.”

            “Please let me expl--,” began Draco, as the falling snow swirled around them.

            “I said I DON’T WANT TO KNOW,” yelled Hermione. “Why don’t you go and tell someone who cares! Like your girlfriend back there.”

            “She is NOT my girlfriend! Why do you not listen to me?” Draco exclaimed, frustratedly brushing his hand though his hair and dislodging the snow in it.

              “I have my reasons, you know I have” spat Hermione, casting one last disgusted glance at Draco before disapparating and leaving Draco in the sidewalk with a defeated look on his face.

__________________________________

            As soon as Hermione left, Draco went inside to hunt down Astoria. Unfortuantely for him, and fortunately for her, she was no where to be found.

            Mentally cursing himself for getting stuck in such a situation and even more for actually caring, Draco immediately began packing. Within ten minutes, he disapparated to his apartment praying that Hermione didn’t call off the deal and leave.

            The minute he walked in his apartment, he dropped everything and ran to Hermione’s bedroom. Fortunately, she did not move out, as indicated by her belongings that were still in the room. Unfortunately, while her belongings were there, Hermione was nowhere to be found.

            After staring at her empty room for what seemed like an eternity, Draco walked to the living room, dropped defeatedly in the armchair by the fire, and stared unwaveringly at the door.

_________________________________________

            When Hermione walked in, a few hours later, she saw Draco’s tall form slumped in the armchair by the fireplace. As she shut the door to the apartment, Draco stirred.

            “Hermione? Is that you?” he called out drowsily.

            “The deal is still on,” she replied, disregarding what Draco said.

            “Where were you? I thought you left.”

            “I went for a walk to think things through. And I have decided that the deal is still on. Even though you clearly didn’t hold up your side of the bargain, I shall hold up mine,” she stated. “And before you begin again, let me make it clear that I don’t want to know whatever it is that you’re trying to tell me about what happened. I. don’t. care. So don’t bother wasting your breath on it.”

            As soon as she finished, she walked to her room and slammed the door shut. Leaving Draco in the armchair with an exasperated look on his face. 

*********************************************************************

While coming up with a title for this chapter, I realized how roses are mentioned in basically every tragedy or sad part of a story (i.e. Romeo & Juliet, Beauty & the Beast, Beastly, as well as some versions of Sleeping Beauty).

Anyhow.....

What do you guys think of this chapter? I'd love to hear your opinions (as usual).....

I'm kind of running behind on writing, due to all the early updates. So the next upload will be on Saturday. But feel free to vote anyways ;)