WU Career Fair: Finding a job just got easier

http://www.westhillconsulting-career.com/blog/

The best way to make sure your first flight from the nest is permanent is to be prepared to find the right job.

Just thinking about all the applications that must be filled out, resumes and cover letters to write can be a daunting task, not to mention preparing for the interviews. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 19, Washburn is offering its annual spring Career Fair in Lee Arena.

Students can visit the fair to meet employers, make connections and receive tips for resumes and portfolios. Students talk with potential employers to ask questions and receive a better visual of what that job involves.

“It’s perfect venue to ask questions” said Kent McAnally, director of Career Services.

McAnally says that networking is a big deal in the workforce. It’s important to make connections with people, which is hard to do online with just a resume.

“You are highly unlikely to get a job without meeting face to face” said McAnally.

Deborah Moore, director of human resources at Washburn, gets a first hand view resumes and cover letters. As the human resources staff sorts through resumes, Moore offers some tips on how to make sure your resume makes it through to the next level.

First, always fill out applications completely and check spelling, said Moore, who has a personal pet peeve about misspelled words.

“I can’t tell you how that turns a person off,” said Moore

Imagine turning in a resume where the name of the company is misspelled.

Both McAnally and Moore recommend including activities to show that the applicant is well rounded.