Chapter 6 - ***REVISED***

Start from the beginning

        "Are ye' hurt? We should see if ye' got burnt," he said, his large tanned hands reaching out towards her waist.

        "Look at what you've done!" she snapped, slapping his hands away.

        Dropping his arms, Reese's brows furrowed in bewilderment.

        "You've ruined my dress!" Breanne accused, loudly. Her eyes glittered with unshed tears.

        "Silly twit, ye' ruined yer own dress when ye' burnt it," Reese returned in a hard voice.

        "It could have been saved," Breanne stubbornly defended. "Now look at me," she complained, throwing her hands up. "I am wet and covered in mud. I wanted to make a good impression on your family!"

       Reese glowered down at her. "I'm sure they would not be impressed to see ye' actin' as a shrew," he replied, tightly.

       "A shrew?!" she shrieked, and then paused, her eyes widening in horror. She was behaving like a shrew! She'd even raised her voice!

        "I apologize," Breanne said, her eyes downcast and her shoulders creeping upward as she sunk into herself.

        "Wha' is wrong with ye'?" he bluntly questioned, his statement mirroring her own thoughts.

        Breanne sadly shook her head, taking stock of the damage done to her gown and apron. "I don't have time for this. I must go and change before your family arrives." Head held high, she turned and walked towards her home, inwardly astonished at her own behavior, yet trying to hide that fact from Reese. His next words made her feel sick to her stomach.

        "They stand behind you, lass."

        Breanne froze; her pale, wet hand still on the door handle, a slight tremor passed through her, and she clutched it instinctively.

        "The whole while?" she barely whispered, keeping her gaze on the doorknob.

        "Aye."

        "You couldn't have mentioned it in the beginning?"

        "There was no time between all the yellin', lass."

        Breanne didn't register that Reese's tone had softened somewhat. It did not matter.

What did I say to him?

Breanne's stomach tightened into a hard knot and she felt her eyes close in utter shame. Not only did she yell at him, but she had done so in front of his family!  How could she? What must they think of her? She did not wish to face them and find out. She wanted to run inside and never come out again! After a cringe and a shudder, she straightened, swallowing down her mortification.

It's his fault. Breanne decided, finally turning to glare at Reese before relaxing her features into an opposite expression once she faced his family.

        Reese was shocked at the transformation that lit her face. A quick smile softened the mouth that had just been screaming at him. She gracefully clasped her hands in front of her, first taking care to swipe the drenched strands of hair neatly behind her ears.

By his estimation she looked silly, utterly soaked and muddy, yet still trying to keep up appearances. He shook his head at her, folded his arms and scowled as he stood back, watching his family approach.

        Breanne stood ramrod straight; and remained still as Torrington's family neared. The hordes of kinsmen she'd feared turned out to be no more than six people, including Lachlan and Reese. Lachlan was the first to approach her. His worn hands grabbed hers, startling her.