Chap. 1- Hybrid #42

"Yes, this is Hybrid #42. Quite the amazing one, yes?" I heard them chatting at the entrance, jumping onto the ledge before letting out a puff of frost to get rid of the fire. Scrabbling, I blew my hair out of my face, claws digging into the wall before hauling myself up onto the final ledge.

"What did I say. Best one there is." Jumping down, I walked out, hearing them muttering about new experiments. The gray collar blinked it's little red light, a voice buzzing in my ear.

"Hybrid #42, you have five minutes to report to Test Chamber #8."

Shit.

I sprinted down the hallways, quickly slipping a sorry here and there. A few glares, but I couldn't afford to be late. Sliding right at the entrance, I panted, the person at the doorway clicking his stopwatch.

"Right on time, let's go."

Honestly, sometimes I think they time me to get to the test chamber is either just playing around, or to tire me out.

Attention. All hybrids are to finish up with their current test chamber. No later than 6:30. Any hybrids that are seen outside their cells are going to be... used to test the new courses.

"Well, #42, looks like you have thirty minutes to get this test done and back to your cell." I gulped, looking at the course. It takes thirty minutes to complete.

"... I'm going back to my cell, since I technically did NOT start this!" Sprinting away, I heard the male shout, dodging the little hybrids and tumbling into my cell. I crossed my fingers, hoping for the blue electric field would activate before the scientist comes.

Heavy footsteps, and I was grabbed from the collar.

"You are doing that test, tomorrow, whether you like it or not." Scrabbling at it, I coughed, shutting my eyes tight.

Punch.

Kick.

Another punch.

Three more.

Thrown against the wall.

Shocked.

Kicked four times.

"Don't disobey orders next time, or you'll be facing the new tests." The guy smirked, delivering a kick to my side. I let out a weak yelp, spitting out blood. At least... he didn't use me as a sex toy... The guards would eye me as I passed along the halls, sometimes delaying my run to my cell just to...

No time to think about those disgusting bastards... Just sit up... Sit up before...

"Hey there, #42."

One of the guards...

"Need some help there, kitten?" He made cooing noises, mocking me.

"I'm fine, I don't need your help." Sitting up weakly, I limped to the cot, ignoring the bloodstain on the floor.

Pssssss.

The cell right next to me.

I peeked through the bars, the panda hybrid looking through.

"Hey, Seto."

"Sup, Nate."

"You got quite a beating over there... you okay?" He reached over and wiped some blood off.

"They can't beat me more than the others, since I'm the "special" one and all."

"Did you hear?"

"What?" Nate dropped down, a few hushed whispers.

Nate and I met through childhood, reuniting here. The cell next to his is a real gossiper, and his cellmate Ritz hears it all. Information is passed down, ect.

Ritz popped up, giving a wave.

"They're hiring a new scientist soon, and this place is becoming more and more like a hellhole. I passed the new tests earlier; looked like a torture room than a test. Little spikes, red hot walls, rings of fire, ect."

"Poor hybrids that have to test those out..."

"Also, you're losing that rank of yours. When this whole lab is finalized, everybody will be the lowest rank, including you." Ritz dropped back down, Nate coming back up.

"Good luck, Seto... Hope you'll make it."

"We all wish to make it." Slipping my hands off the ledge, I dropped back down onto my cot, stifling a yelp of pain.

Pride and joy.

Sooner or later I'm going to drop that, since it holds nothing.

Sighing, I quickly checked myself in the dirty mirror in the bathroom, lashing my tail on the floor to ward off any bugs. Going back to my cot, I lied down on the hard surface, holding a hand up.

A little flame danced around.

There's always a light...

The shouts from guards dimmed down, night approaching. The laboratory slowly faded into darkness, lights flicking off one by one.

The electric field stayed up, rendering anybody from escaping impossible or near-impossible.