Chapter 13: Kendall

Começar do início

"Leo? Ty? Oh my god, is that you?" He asks in shock.

"Wren Montgomery," Ty smiles happily.

"And who are they?" Wren glances around. After everyone introduces themselves, Wren is very welcoming and eager to get us inside. It turns out, Wren is another one of Ty and Leo's best-friends. Soon enough, everyone is sliding down the hole beneath the latch. The only ones left are Leo and I.

He avoids my gaze at first, following along with everyone else. "Wait, Leo," I stop him before he goes inside.

"What?" he asks me.

"Did I do something wrong back there? You seem like you're mad at me," I shrug.

"You shouldn't have waited for me. It was stupid, you could have gotten yourself killed," he states blankly.

"I'm sorry for caring..." I trail off, unsure of what to say.

"Yeah," he shrugs.

"You're actually gonna get mad at me for staying with you?" I cross my arms, the wind blows my hair from my face. He raises his head, looking me in the eyes. I hesitate to say something, but he cuts me off. He places his hands on my cheek, our lips connect.

My heart quickens.

When he breaks away, he shakes his head. "I already lost a friend. I don't want to lose you already," he sighs. I stand in silence, still uncertain of how to react. Everything starts making sense. Ever since the first time I had seen him, I just felt something. I felt alive. It is nothing like what I had with Mark, maybe the connection is even deeper. Maybe as a best friend, a boyfriend, whatever he is meant to be, I just know it is right. And with that, he slides down the hole.

Once inside, I slide down a tunnel for a few moments. Eventually I end up landing in a dimly lit room, revealing a hallway to an elevator. I catch up with the rest of the group just before the elevator closes. The ride is full of laughter and voices talking over each other. "We just got another group earlier today, people similar to you," I overhear Wren say to a few of my friends. A tiny glimmer of hope flashes through my chest but fades quickly. There is no way it can be who I hope.

The elevator doors slide open, my heart drops. Arizona, Ivy, Hazel, Yvoni, Lazaro, Cole, Chase, Mark, and a few other unfamiliar faces stand wide-eyed just outside. Emotions swell in my chest, screams and tears bursting out in the air as we all run to each other. Tears pour down my cheeks, unable to catch my breath as I fall into Cole's arms. My uncle. All of us, together again. Blotchy faces pass by, each one of us exchanging hugs. Nina flies into Chase's welcoming arms. "I knew you'd be here," she sputters into his shoulder as he wraps his arms around her. I have never felt so much happiness and pain all at once. Love. I love them all. This moment, it will forever be a part of me. My vision is blurry, my heart races as we all gather together in a clump of hugs and cries of joy, laughter, everything in flashes. Until I stop by Mark.

I look into his eyes, a deeply rooted brown just as I remember them. They are the same eyes, only different. They reveal more pain than before. We stop in front of each-other, breathless and unable to find the right words. I close my eyes, bringing him in for a hug. I don't feel in love with him, I just feel like I know how it should feel. We love each other but we weren't in love with each other. Friends, a word I can get used to. His fingers run through my hair as if he is searching for the feeling again, I feel his heart beating against my chest. My eyes blink open, meeting with Leo's. He flashes me a smile from behind Mark. Seeing Leo there, I gather my senses. I have been hugging Mark for a long time. Finally letting go, our eyes meet again.

"What are we now?" He pursed his lips.

"I think we both know the answer, we just aren't ready to say it," I bite my lower lip.

"It's not the same anymore," He shakes his head, lowering his gaze to the ground.

"It's okay. Friends?" I ask him, my hand reaches for his. He grabs onto my hand, squeezing it once and letting go. I let my arm return to my side.

"Friends," he says aloud, letting a breath of air escape his mouth. We exchange smiles, our eyes meeting again. He returns to the group as I stop in front of Leo. He smiles, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"It's okay if you still want to be with him," he hesitates before smiling.

"I don't," I shake my head, feeling relieved that Mark and I can work it out like this. Mark and I aren't who we used to be, things are different now.

Soon enough, I get introduced to Pen, Holland, and Maria. I introduce Ty and Leo to the rest of our friends, Wren joining in. As it turns out, our group is growing quickly. Six more people to care about, six more people to escape with. We all room together, spending time getting to know each-other. It is as if I have known them all my entire life, we just click. Just like that, everything is falling back into place. I have never been more hopeful than that night. With them, all of my friends. My family, even.