Chapter 1

"The city is beautiful tonight" said a voice appearing from behind, startling Lara, as she clung to the cold, metal railing. A tall, slender figure with crazy hair, and dressed in a black hoodie and jeans, was now stood beside her; the man gazed out towards New York, the water below them and the lights from the vibrant city were reflected in his shiny eyes making them a deep, ocean blue colour. He glanced sideways only to find their eyes interlocking, causing them both to look away sheepishly.

"I'm Dan by the way, what's your name?"

Only now did Lara realise that the man had a stereotypically English accent, she began to wonder why he too was here on Brooklyn Bridge at 4am on a freezing February Sunday morning. Lara wished he wasn't there, she wanted to be alone- to finally let go and never have to feel again, but she knew deep down from the glow that surrounded the stranger's presence that this wasn't going to happen, at least not tonight, anyway. The wind whistled in small gusts creating an eerie silence which seemed so distant from the never-sleeping city and aside from the odd car driving fast over the bridge and shooting into the distance, they were completely alone up there. She suddenly became conscious that she couldn't recall how much time had passed since Dan had asked her name.

"Uh, I'm Lara" she started shyly.

"Nice to meet you, Lara" Dan smiled, instinctively holding out his hand, before it occurred to him that Lara kind of needed her hand to hold on to the railing at that time, and he pulled his hand back into his pocket. Typical Englishman, Lara thought.

A few seconds passed, Dan fiddled with his hair, feeling uneasy with not knowing how to help. Lara just stared straight below, the still abyss of the water beneath her becoming more and more enticing by the second. However, even though she had only just met Dan, she knew she couldn't now jump off the bridge right in front of his eyes.

"So you were going to jump, right?" Dan says and immediately regretting not taking a more casual approach towards the matter, more like 'so how are you?' or 'what brings you here tonight?'

"-sorry" Dan trails off, scratching the back of his neck.

Lara remained silent and Dan took the answer to his questioned as a yes, even though he knew the answer before he had even asked it.

"Wanna see something awesome?" Dan exclaimed holding out his hand once again in a gesture for Lara to take it.
Shaking and reluctantly, Lara took a hold of Dan's firm, outstretched hand, and swung her legs back over the metal railings of the Brooklyn Bridge. Dan gripped tight, not wanting to let her go. And in that moment they both started running; Dan leading them; hand in hand.

Ahhh I don't think that was very good and it was very short oops but what do you think so far?? But this is my first ever story so advice on how to improve would be much appreciated hahaha. Thanks for reading if you do <3

Also p.s. bonus points if you got the incredibly vague Pierce The Veil reference lmao