SAMHAIN (A short story)

"We want their souls. They do not show respect. They are not listening to us anymore so they should be perished. We will be here at midnight and put an end to this mockery. Do not worry, child. You will be spared. You are one of us, we know it. Be in your home and do what should be done. We are getting near. We need sacrifices. Samhain should be respected. The dead shall rise for the sacrifices.", a voice that sounded like it came six feet under the ground whispered to Samantha. She shivered at the sound of the voice. The one who owns the voice stood before her, dressed in torn dirty white dress and with a veil on. It slowly unveiled herself then she screamed... and woke up.

    'I'm still not used to them', she said under her breath. She slowly got up, changed to her usual and went out to check what's going on for the night.

    It's Samhain, also called Halloween tonight. She walked around the subdivision, seeing devils running, zombies laughing and vampires eating candy. "Samhain, they made it too fancy now.", she uttered to herself. With a grim expression to her face, she passed a group of children who looked at her and avoided her.

    She was angry at the commercialization of Samhain. It insulted her, mocked her. It is the time when people dress in their real skin, their real faces, but with the excuse of saying that their custome was fit for Halloween.

    Yes, for her, Samhain is a holiday. The time when the veil between human and nonhuman world becomes thinner, the time when the nonhuman forces step in the human world. But not celebrated like this. And she knew the spirits are full of this mockery. The tradition of sacrifices has been obsolete. It is time to revive and renew the sacrifices. Not some "dumb suppers" this time. Not cattle bones burned in bonfires, not even the most beautiful first harvest of fruits and vegetables or first born cattles could please them. She knew it will be human blood. Human flesh, bones and blood will be the new sacrifice to appease the angry spirits. And then, they will have a feast of human souls.

    She went home, in the darkest part of the subdivision, near the vacant lot full of trees. Walking the path towards her house, she saw a house full of drunk teenagers partying. Every girl in there resembled like a clown in a carnival because of their heavy make-up and every boy dressed up in fake blood and gore.

    "Oh hey! Look here guys! It's Samantha, the weirdo!", one of the girls that came out in the house named Lina shouted and pointed at her. Lina is the head cheerleader of the school where Samantha went. She is also the leader of the stupid group of girls that tormented her at school.

    "Goodness! You really creep me out sometimes! How do you do that?!?", One of Lina's girlfriend said. In their greased lips escaped irritating peal of laughter, getting the attention of some people in the house.

    "I heard you do not live with your parents. If you feel a little lonely, just call me."

    It was a dumb jock going to the same school where she studies said and tried to feel her up. She backed off, giving him a death glare.

    "Woah! I like feisty women.", he laughed and went in the house again. The girls were still laughing. The noise, the lights, the people were simply horrendous. But she just remained silent.

    Samantha just walked passed to them, ignoring the insults thrown at her.

    'Those will be the last insults I will hear from them. It will soon be over.', she thought.

    She felt the them coming near to this place. It is getting near and it is deadly. A little smile formed her lips as she she walked away. Hurrying to go home and do the protection ritual, she walked faster than usual. "Freak!", she heard Lina shouted at her back. she did not care about the names. Being special has its consequences.

    The night was getting darker and darker than usual but no one noticed. Samantha finally came in her house. Gathering some black candles, a knife and a cup of water, she went to the attic. Lighting up a wide circle of candles, she kneeled in the center and chanted an ancient prayer for the dead. The candles' flames became brighter with every word that came out of her lips. After the ancient prayer, she proceeded to chant a protection prayer. She bowed and started the prayer.

    "Oh, spirits of Samhain. I , your humble companion, hereby ask for protection. Keep my abode and my human body safe from the wrath. Save me, Oh, save me from the wrath that will perish this place." As she chant, she held the knife and pierced the tip of her finger. A tiny bead of blood came out and she dropped it on a cup of water. Even though it was only a drop of blood, it made the water turn from clear to brilliant crimson red with the consistency of a wall paint. When she looked up, she saw the veiled lady. Like in her dream, it started unveiling and Samantha saw her face. It was hideous, horrifying. Half of the face is  areddish brown color of rotting flesh with no eyeball. Worms are crawling in and out of the holes. The other half was just bones with the color of horror, like a skeleton model.

    "The spirits have granted protection unto you. When midnight comes, do not open every opening of your house. Sprinkle the water now. It will mark the house. A mark that will signify protection and communion with us. The shadows of their unrespectful actions shall eat their souls. And tonight will the bloodbath start", the lady said. Then, it vanished in thin air.

     After the ritual, she went to every opening of her house, sprinkled the crimson water on it and locked it shut. Then she covered the glass windows with black cloth.

    'The shadows of their unrespectful actions shall eat their souls. And tonight will the bloodbath start.', she uttered mindlessly as she peered outside. She can still see many people outside, she can still hear faint sounds of music in house where a party were held.

    She sat on her comfortable sofa and watched TV, waiting for midnight to come. When the clock striked at twelve, she started hearing howling sounds. There were voices that sounded like it came from the deepest graves. Someone knocked on her door.

    "Help!! Please help me!", a man screamed. It was the dumb jock that tried to hit on her. Between his screams, she heard sounds of ripping fabrics and breaking bones. Then, the screams gradually dissolved and all that is left was the sound of heavy footsteps walking away.

    Feeling sleepy, she finally decided to sleep. And before coming to her dreamland, she was lulled to sleep by the screams and cries of people in the subdivision and the howling spirits of Samhain that made a feast of souls under the silvery full moon.