Samantha (Chapter One)

I heaved a heavy sigh, "once again, another move." My mother looked at me and gave me a reassuring pat on the back. I looked into her soft hazel eyes that we shared, and gave her a small painful smile.

"You'll make new friends, trust me."

"You said that the last four times we moved. . ." I mumbled quietly while looking out the car window. California wasn't that bad, as far from scenery. The people on the other hand, I wasn't too sure.

Jessica Kanno, which is my mother, is a business woman and she gets many job openings around the world. From Japan, Florida, Arizona, you name it. We moved four times due to her business. I was fine with it, but. . . It was hard to make friends. Very, very, very hard!

"I promise you, you'll make friends! Maybe even best friends, a best friend you'll marry! Girl or boy, marry whoever, I don't care!" I chuckled at my mothers response.

"Heh, alright, mum." I looked at her and gave a weak smile. Her eyes were on the road and silence filled the car. My hazel eyes looked out the car window again, my hand slowly reaching for the radio. I turned it on and adjusted the volume. River of Tears, by Alessia Cara played.

I smiled lightly and leaned back in the passengers seat. My eyelids grew heavy as I fell in darkness.

"Samantha!" I heard mommy's voice. I jolted up, throwing my crayons on my bedrooms carpet, and running down the wooden stairs.

"Daddy!" I squealed and ran to the living room but only saw two policemen with mommy on the couch crying softly into her palms. My hazel eyes grew big and I looked at the policemen. "You're not daddy." I whispered.

"Now aren't you a cute little thing." One of the policemen walked over to me and kneeled down. I was confused.

"Who are you?" I asked chocking on tears. I wanted my daddy. I never saw him in two weeks, I missed him giving me piggy back rides, playing me guitar, singing to me. . . I missed him.

"How old are you, sweetie?" Asked the man, he smiled lightly at me. I looked down and mumbled my age. "Come again, sweetie?"

"I'm five years old."

The man looked down, and looked back his police friend who was comforting my mommy. His eyes went down to the ground and was soon looking at mine. His eyes showed pain, I knew I was gonna feel it soon. "Samantha. . . Is it?" I nodded, waiting for him to proceed. "We have some bad news about your daddy." I gulped, tears brewing in my eyes.

We were now sitting around our dining table. I looked at mommy, her soft emerald eyes looked into my hazel eyes. "Honey. . . Daddy isn't coming home." I looked at her.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused. "Daddy has to come back home!" I exclaimed. Mommy winced at my words, and I sunk down my chair slowly. One of the policemen who talked to me from the start turned towards my mommy, then to my direction.

"Your da-" he was interrupted by mommy.

"I should tell her." She said looking at him. "I am the mother." She whispered. Mommy's body shifted out of her chair, and moved towards me. She kneeled down to my height and told me words I will never forget.

"Daddy. . . Is gone."

I was seven when I realized what she meant that he was gone. He was 'dead.' Everyday I would pass by this stone like box with daddy's full name on it, the year he was born and the year he was 'gone.' We decided to burn his body and turn it into ashes so we can bring it to us when we move.