Chapter 2 | Partner from Hell

Beginne am Anfang

     "I'll sacrifice myself to sit next to the devil.  You're all welcome." He announced proudly, walking around the table to sit next to you.  Remus wore an unimpressed look as he watched the boy saunter over, James too infatuated with Lily to pay attention to his surroundings.  Peter, on the other hand, was too engrossed in his food to even notice they were ever short a seat.  

     You were snapped out of you thoughts as Sirius sat down next you, leaning on the table, a satisfied grin on his face.  In order to avoid nearly sitting on the person on the other side of him, he had to be pushed against you, arm to arm.  You bit your lip as you shot him an angry look, turning back to your waffles.  

     Everyone engaged in conversation except you and Sirius.  You were the outsider, and Sirius was too far away to really talk to anybody without shouting.  Not that he had any problem with that, that is.  Poking your plate, you glanced over at Lily, who looked happy and bubbly.  You mentally slapped yourself.  You shouldn't be jealous.  You have plenty of other friends, like...Molly, and...Xeno...and...no one.  

     "You okay?"  Sirius asked, causing you to replace your solemn expression with a blank face. 

     "Yeah, why?" You questioned quickly, the boy raising an eyebrow in response.  "It's not like you would care anyways, so why bother?" Sirius looked at you for a moment before shrugging.  

     "That was defensive, but okay." He muttered, giving you a side glance as he grabbed an apple and took a bite out of it, much to your annoyance.  Sighing, you sat up, looking over at Lily, who was watching you already due to your sudden movements.

     "I'm going to head to class.  We need to be there and hear the assignment before our first class so..." Standing up, you began to walk away with Lily quickly got up.

     "You're right.  I didn't realize how close breakfast was to being over."  Jogging to catch up with you, you began to walk to class.  "Why didn't she just tell us the assignment on Wednesday instead of making us rush to the tower before our first class?"  You shrugged in response.

     "We won't be counted late in class though.  She sent a letter to all of our professors explaining why we would be late.  So that's a bonus I guess." Lily laughed a little.  

     "Hey, you know, you don't have to be such a stranger with the guys.  They like you, you know. You and Sirius didn't nearly kill each other either." You smiled a little.

     "We were close to doing that.  Maybe I will, y'know, get closer to them.  But I might need a little shove." Lily nodded, wrapping her arm around you in a side hug.

     "Then I shall do so.  You've stuck with me since we were basically born.  We're both muggle born magic nerds." You giggled.

     "Can that be our own little secret club?  The MBMN?"

     "Isn't that a medical term already?" Lily asked as you stared at the air.  

     "Yeah, you're right.  Something to do with bone marrow I think." You both reached the tower to Astronomy, both of you looking at each other as you stared at the stairs.  "Alright, time for my morning workout." You concluded, both of you beginning your treacherous journey upstairs.

-----------------------------------

     "I'm glad you've all made it here in time." The professor said, looking at all of you.  "I'll make this quick since I know you have other classes to get to.  You have a large project coming up that will be a partnered project.  But, I will pick those partners."  A groan escaped the class.  "The assignment ties into charms as well.  The project is to create a miniature replica of any part of universe you choose.  It must be magic, moving, and display the way planets and stars move throughout the galaxy." You could tell the entire class was getting excited.  In most cases, projects were writing essays.  This, on the other hand, was far more interesting.  

     "The project will be due in a month.  You have four weeks to finish the assignment.  Now, time for partners."  You and Lily once again looked at each other, hopeful.  You zoned out as she began to read names until she got close to your group.

     "Remus and Peter.  Lily and...James.  Sirius and (Y/n)." Your head instantly dropped on your desk.  Of course.  Glancing up, you saw Sirius snickering at your reaction.  Kicking him, he turned to glare at you, a look of amusement on your face.  Sitting up, you stared at him.

     "We are going to finish this project, and put aside our differences, only during the project.  Otherwise, we ignore or avoid each other as much as possible."

     "Agreed." He muttered, brushing his hair out of his face.  "But annoying you couldn't be that far out of ignoring you, right?" You shot him a glare.  "Fine, calm down.  No promises though."