Chapter 9: Meeting

The next day I choose a light green top with a brown skirt. No sparring on my planner, Erik had promised me a day of studies. I was not so happy with the perspectives of lectures but at least that would mean I would not have to play the tag game with Charles. And that, I was okay.

The ring bell at my door warned me my visitor was here.

— Coming, coming!

Erik raised an eyebrow at my outfit and smirked.

— Who said your studies did not implied some physical training?

— ArAr. You are so very funny. You told me yesterday I would use my pencil and my wrist all day. Were are we going to study?

— Library. Charles won't be far. In case something happen.

I cringed at the reminder of my possible crazy hysteria moments.

The library of the mansion was a small room next to the nursery. But books were covering the wall from the floor to the ceiling. Tables and chairs occupied the spaces between shelves. A woman with black hair occupied the first table that was visible from the entrance. She raised her head at our entry and I gasped. She had the grey eyes of Charles and I knew they were related.

— Hi Mathilde. You probably haven't met Camille yet.

— No but I guessed it was her. It is not like we are housing any other members of the vampire kind beside my uncle right now. Nice to meet you.

— My pleasure. Uncle? You are not a vampire?

She looked about thirty and unlike Charles, her hair were straight like a dark curtain.

— My father was human and I took after him. Mom is kind of frustrated and sad because she knows I'm going to die long before her but... I refused to be transformed. I am sorry you did not had any choice in the matter.

— Well now that it's done...

I waved her concerns. I was stressed enough by myself.

But it was nice meeting someone like Mathilde who had one feet in each world. I wondered how the relationship between her parents was and for some reason thought it was weird. How could a vampire go out with the very thing they fed on? You would not go out with your burger, right?

Erik's voice startled me.

— Camille and I have some studies to do. We'll be in the back. If we make too much noise tell us.

— Sure Erik. Do you want to have lunch together? I suppose Charles will come to take care of her during that time?

— Yes. It would be good. See you later!

We passed three row of book shelves and two alcoves before we reached the last space in the room. It seemed more enclosed and I was sure it was the best place in the room to be when you did not want to bother other people or be bothered.

I sat and Erik dropped a notebook and a pen in front of me.

— I'm sure you'll want to take notes.

Meet Mathilde, Charles' half-sister. Next chapter is going to be full of informations on the new world of Camille.